Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Competitions - prizes

Started by Jules (Helioxfilm) ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

Competitions - prizes

21 posts
  1. Hmmm the basic RED is already at $22k+ with basic drive options. A real P/L lens like a Zeiss 14 or some thing would be minimum and I can't even remember how much those cost. The housing would be at least in the $10k range, just on the size alone. I dunno how you can get 28k with housing, camera and lens.

     

    Hey Drew,

    Take a look at the incredible work Evin Grant is doing with lens appraisals for RED One at their dedicated web site. You'll see that glass intended for DSLR's can and will be adopted for use with RED. Sure, purists of cinematography will want to use Arri, Zeiss or Cooke Primes but those can wait until most are in a better position to buy. Even top flight guys in LA are looking at Nikon glass to start with. Only the few will be going full on Cine Primes at the outset.

     

    The start up package to get the cam powered up and be able to start shooting to a 300GB drive is set at $2750, but seeing as Jim Jannard is a very nice man he gave all early reservation holders, the RED Core, a $2500 discont off the cost of the camera body. Thats all of those who ordered, as I did, in last Octobers window of opportunity. So to get me a cam ready to go without lens is costing me $17,750.

     

    Housing wise I'm speaking with a few people including Gates, AquaVideo and another private entity in the UK. AquaVideo, for a macro ready system will be in at just under $4k.

     

    Initially I'm looking to start with shooting Macro using a PL converted Tamron 90mm lens (the same one adopted by the BBC over any HD lens due to its incredible performance). After that lens I'll be looking to slowly build up a collection of suitable glass until the release of the RED Prime set toward the end of next year. The whole set costing around $20k.

     

    I think $50k would be more accurate if you also mentioned "to shoot at 4k". For me, my initial projects will be shot at a max of 2k but mainly 1080p.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    Edited by CamDiver
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.