Need to know....Aquatica 5000 and dual YS-90DX and dual sync cord???
or
Aquatica 5000 and dual Ike 125D and dual sync cord.
I assume that all of the above strobes work with dual sync cords. I read all the posts about the YS-90DX and the probelms. Never used Ikelite before. I wish nikon was still making strobes....
Anyway, need to know what is working out there. seems that the ike people are having far less problems then those with the YS-90DX. what about a pair of DS50 and a dual???? Any body using them?
In my opinion, dual Ikelite DS125's would be my choice. I really like the strobes. Sold one along with a A5000 housing to a customer. Nice setup. Powerful, yet fast recycle time. With the CP5000 you can use TTL or manual for wider angles/scenes.
The DS50 only has TTL and full dump. Not as versatile.
The YS90dx gives you more manual settings, but I would still go with the Ikelites with dual synch cord.
By the way, you can use Nikon strobes with the CP5000. You can pick up an SB-105 for around $400 each nowadays.
I read all the posts about the YS-90DX and the probelms.
My thumbs up on the Ikelite DS-125. Get the fast charger with it - it's worth every cent.
The only other person I know that is using this same setup (A5000/YS90DX x2/Dual sync cord) is yahsemtough. He is NOT having any problems with his setup. I PM'd him and he did some tests for me with his setup and it works fine. This blew me away as I have replaced every variable in the setup and still could not get it working properly. If anyone else out there has this setup please let me know (working or not). I do have to say I thought Sea&Sea was going to be a pain to deal with from what I had heard, but they have been super in trying to help me. In fact they have been calling me to find out when I'm bringing it in so they can send it off to Japan.
I really hope they figure out what the problem is because I really like the 90dx's size and adjustability. I might be in the minority here but I also like the fact that they take AA rechargables. With AA's I know I can replace them cheaply and easily when they hit their end of life. I also can just swap out the batteries after every dive without having to worry about charging batteries and for me that's usually four times in one day. The DS50 has these advantages except for the manual adjustment. You have to add an extra manual controller to get that and I don't like how there is so many connections.
I respectfully point out that a DS-50 and YS90DX actually have identical coverage and intensity regardless of the ridiculous advertising claims. Our Manual Controller enables the same number of power settings for about the same price, but puts the setting knob down at the camera rather than on the strobe. The controller can be triggered by a flash just like a fibre optic cable would be, or a sync cord can be utilized............