Thanks for the post and your thoughts. Of course I am not sure I agree with it all, but as far as I am concerned if someone likes a software or platform, I am not going to try to tell them they are wrong. Different strokes for different folks. If people ask my opinion on Macs and FCP though I will tell them the good things. Anyway some thoughts.
I've worked with FCP and find that to do many things you have to jump through alot of hoops (read - inefficient workflow).
Not sure how many hoops there really are. For many things the workflow is quick and easy. Drags clips onto the timeline and done. Of course when you do other things more work is required. Which part did you fine inefficient?
I find the marketing hype around FCP plays upon peoples ideas that it will somehow make them more professional by using it.
Do not think it is hyped anymore than any other product. Keds made you run faster and jump higher and diamonds are forever. If you buy a Canon 5D you will be able to take proefessional pictures, and the Xti is not worth a darn. Etc. As you mentioned AVID and FCP are used extensively in professional settings. Of course there is some hype in this, but if you see where and how FCP is used there is no doubt many productions have used it.
You're locked into an application that for most, is unintuitive to work with. I found it not so much due to having worked with PPro for so long and the interface was similar. Unless one is editing long form projects, I find FCP bloated overkill, and yet up until PPro CS3, you either edited in AVID (I've heard it termed AVOID) or FCP - that was it. Editing long form in Vegas is simple and straighforward - ask shooters here like Nick Hope - a regular Vegas user both here and on the Vegas Forums (Hi Nick)
I use FCP all the time for short items and do not find it bloated overkill at all. In a matter of minutes things are done. In what way is it bloated overkill? I may be too close to the application, but I also know many others who have picked it up and start working and editing quickly. An hour or so or less. And none of them are what you would call high end editor or computer geek types.
Both FCP and Avid are resource intensive apps and I have read and experienced myself numerous crashes of both apps on the MAC platform. Mac hardware is overpriced. One can field edit on a standard Dell Laptop with dual core processors and 2GB of RAM and purchase Vegas 7 and still spend less than a Macbook Pro. And then one has to pay out the nose for the FCP Suite because that is the only way to obtain it. Again, no freedom of choice.
People claim Mac is overpriced. And to some degree it is when compared to PCs. Since the Intel switch the price differential is alot less when comparing simarily spec'd out machines. I have carried FInal Cut Pro and edited on everything from an iBook, to a tiBook and a MacBook Pro - of course depending on the version of FCP. (Also have my towers). Always has been stable and reliable. If you were experiencing "numerous" crashes it sounds like something was wrong outside of FCP. You may have had things like bad RAM or other things happening. Not to say there is not a periodic hiccup, but overall it is very stable.
SONY Vegas just works. Once you get use to it's workflow, editing becomes fast and intuitive.
As you said, once you get used to its workflow editing is fast and intuitive. If you are not used to its workflow than it is not fast and intuitive? This is any software, no?
Used in conjunction with Cinescore and Sound Forge, these three apps do more for me than any other set of apps out there. Since I ascribe to the Solo VJ Paradigm - where one conceives, shoots, is on camera talent, narrates, edits and renders out to multiple sources - efficiency is key.
Apple actually has this same efficiency on two levels – the iApps (Garageband, iMovie, iDVD etc.) and the high end Apps, Final Cut Studio – Final Cut, Soundtrack, Livetype, Motion, DVD SP and now Color. And all do exactly the same thing. I use both the iApps and Studio all the time
I don't work in AE, and edit using cuts and dissolves 99.9% of the time. Vegas' support for multiple video formats on the same timeline, nested projects, etc. works very well.
FCP 2 also has now implemented multiple video formats on the same timeline. Have not put it through all of its paces yet, so cannot comment fully on that aspect other than the fact that for the majority of the work I do multiple formats are not a huge deal. I actually have something where I am going to work through a multiple format thing to see how it works. That way I can see how it stacks up to Wagsy and Edius J
FCP and iMovie to do cuts and dissolves are extremely easy though to use.
Is it perfect? No. .
And neither is FCP 
But I think it comes much closer than any other offerings for my style of shooting (Freelance Video Journalism)
And that is the key, it works for you so therefore it is fine. I do a lot of the same thing, quick small projects and FCP and the iApps work for me. The most difficult part of any project is figuring out what I want, not getting it done. And the apps have never been a barrier J
- and its hardware requirements are more liberal and not hardware dependent - you don't need a dedicated video card to run Vegas on a laptop (You can't run FCP on a macbook - no dedicated video card). ) Vegas runs on AMD or Intel, Single, Dual or Quad core, and will utilize all cores as high as 99% utilization - I haven't seen any of the other current apps do that. It runs on Win2K (DV only), XP Pro 32 and 64bit and actually sees DVD burners on XP 64 bit which PPro nor Encore will do. You can't even install Avid on XP 64 bit - very backward thinking. The Vegas user community is some of the friendliest and helpful out there.
Fair enough to some degree. There is always some requirement somewhere. The iApps will run on any Mac (again depending on which version of the iApps) You cannot expect software released today to run on a machine released 5 years ago (though Macs are pretty good with things like that. My tower is 3 years old or so and runs the new FCP Studio. Not as fast as the new machines, but not bad. The FCP itself has been a pleasure. How many PCs from 3 years ago can run Vista? It is true that you cannot run the Studio on the MacBook (though some people installed it) but then again you can run all the iApps, which will also do what it sounds like you do fairly easily. As to the Windows issues, not sure I can comment on Avid and the rest. The Apple community are very nice also 
I was a vocal Adobe evangelist, until I kept running into horridly long renders and out of memory error messages (Running either XP Pro 32 bit or XP 64 bit with 4GB RAM with AMD Dual core processor). I have yet to experience any major issues with Vegas.
Yeah Adobe has had some issues from time to time. I cannot live without Photoshop though J And it has been solid (Photoshop) fortunately for me. Never got too jammed up with the other apps on the PCs, other than the fact that Windows always gives me a lot more grief than Mac OS in general. And Tiger for the most part is stable.
The only gripe I've heard is that Vegas doesn't support 10 bit color space, but since no one utilizes it that I know of, I think it's a moot point until one is needing 10bit color space for editing. None of the current crop of video cams most are using (miniDV or HDV) even shoot in that color space.
A native 64 bit version of Vegas is slated for release late this year - that is a major coup. The "A Team" (Adobe, Avid, Apple) - as far as I can tell, they're still stuck in 32 bit mode programming mode - and will be for the forseeable future. That says something about the forward thinking of the programmers in Madison - 64bit is the future - take the efficiencies of Vegas and apply it to the 64 bit world, that is something worth looking at. Its support of XDCAM natively is also a major plus - especially with the slated release later this year of SONY's XDCAM EX. No third party plugins needed to work with XDCAM files, etc.
I think the 64 Bit issue falls into the same category as the 10-bit issue. Cool concept but is it really THAT necessary. Of course it is going to be good when it comes (Leopard in October on the Mac). But for many things, especially basic editing and dissolves, it is not a killer.
I concede that Vista is the worst example of an OS yet to be released by M$ - hence my continued use of XP Pro 64bit. My motherboard has support for up to 16GB of RAM - I've found virtually all XP Pro 64bit's hardware limitations and have to say, within those limitations, it's rock solid.
I never thought they could top (lower?) from ME but that is what people seem to think.
Anyone wanting input on what I have found with editing video on XP Pro 64bit, please feel free to ask.
When it is all said and done, I have heard good things about Vegas, but I do love my Macs and FCP. Not that it does not have issues, it always does. When you work with things long enough, be it a computer, a camera or anything else, I think each one of us would find something to tweak, change or improve. 
I think the best thing to do is find ourselves diving together at the same time and we will both have our laptops. You show me the Vegas thing and I will show you the other side. Of course all of these are secondary to the diving and the beers after. And when it is all said and done you will continue to support Vegas and I will support FCP so we will have to do another trip to continue the argument
Hmmm, maybe Wetpixel should sponsor these trips as the great PC/Mac editing debate. Eric? Drew? Wagsy?