OK, so from a really basic physics standpoint, camera housings are closed at the surface, containing sea-level air pressure, so when you descend the interior is actually at a relative vacuum. The pressure on the outside is hopefully channeled in effect by the housing design to help push the 'halves' of the housing together against the o-ring and thus aid the seal. Buttons need springs though to keep from being 'depressed' by the exterior pressure differential, which is why housings have a max depth rating. (Well, also implosion of the case itself, but that's I imagine secondary to losing the ability for the buttons to 'unpress'.
The internal relative vacuum means that when the seal does break, water's going to be actually 'sucked' in, however.
So I got to wondering....has anyone ever tried positive pressure cases? Seal it up, pump it up with some sort of pump arrangement through a valve that can be sealed off (maybe a CO2 canister, maybe a bicycle pump of some kind) to a positive differential relative to sea level to the intended dive depth, and then dive? The interior to exterior differential can still help hold a seal shut, and I know it's easier to design something that can withstand negative internal pressure than positive internal (or is it - scuba tanks do it just fine). But then if you always 'overpressured' a bit relative to your intended dive depth, while underwater a seal leak would just vent bubbles and give you plenty of warning to start ascending.
I know, logistically having to inflate your camera housing sounds kind of iffy (extra power inflator connection?
) but I was just messing around with bottle rockets and the thought came to me.
Let the scoffing begin!!! ![]()