Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

What editing software do you prefer?

Started by fltekdiver ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

What editing software do you prefer?

22 posts
  1. Hi James/fltekdiver:

     

    I think fltekdiver is refering to Photoshop Elements 5.0. I used Elements 4.0 to process my Nikon NEF RAW files, and it worked fairly well.

     

    James: what processing are you doing with Lightroom? I have only been using it for a few weeks, so I am still learning about its capabilities. I primarily use the workflow, slide show, and web preparation functions. I use the Image/Adjustment commands in Photoshop quite a bit, and I don't find comparable commands in the Develop section of Lightroom. The histogram adjustment seems pretty slick. Any hints?

     

    Fltekdiver: While you are transitioning to processing RAW files, I found it a bit comforting to shoot both RAW and jpg files initially. I had worked with jpg so I there was a bit of a comfort level. James is correct in that once you get rolling you will stick with RAW.

     

    Dan

  2. I typically use Lightroom to go through a folder of photos and tag the good ones by adding to the quick collection. Then I use show quick collection and tweak each photo. Some typical things I do are adjust white balance, the exposure settings (blacks, exposure, highlight recovery, etc), add saturation, and use the clone or healing brush to smooth out backscatter. After tweaking all the photos, I export them to a "Develops" folder as JPEG's.

     

    Lightroom is slow for photo browsing, so I use BreezeBrowser to go through image folders and quickly delete out of focus or black shots. I also use Breezebrowser for resizing and watermarking photos.

     

    Cheers

    James

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.