Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal Housing Leak Detector Alarm

Started by ornate_wrasse ·

  • 29Posts
  • 29Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal Housing Leak Detector Alarm

29 posts
  1. I realize that this is an old thread, but thanks for the comments about salt crystals attracting moisture. I have had similar issues.

     

    Also, instead of using compressed air froma tank, I use "canned" air. Sprayed from about ten inches the detector will cease blinking in a few minutes.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Dan

  2. Hi all,

     

    Slightly off topic, but does anyone know (or can find out) the battery type that is used in the subal leak detector?

     

    I have had a bad flood in mine, and when I removed the battery, it had actually corroded. As a result it went straight into the bin, I should have paused to take down the model number.

     

    BTW, the light was still flashing continuously-which was why I decided to remove the battery.

     

    Many thanks in advance

     

    Adam

  3. Hi all,

     

    Slightly off topic, but does anyone know (or can find out) the battery type that is used in the subal leak detector?

     

    I have had a bad flood in mine, and when I removed the battery, it had actually corroded. As a result it went straight into the bin, I should have paused to take down the model number.

     

    BTW, the light was still flashing continuously-which was why I decided to remove the battery.

     

    Many thanks in advance

     

    Adam

    The one I have is a Varta CR 2430 LiMn 3V

  4. Thanks a million!

  5. Hi Adam,

     

    Try www.farnell.co.uk I think they take cards.

     

    They also stock most batteries for dive computers etc.

     

    If you have a problem let me know I have an account.

     

    Paul C

  6. Hi Paul,

     

    Thanks for the offer-you are very kind.

     

    Our workshop at work stocks pretty much every battery under the sun so I'll try there first.

     

    Thank again

     

    Adam

  7. body { background: #FFFFFF; margin: 0px; padding: 4px; font-family: Verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; } I have come across the same problem in Phuket (yesterday) where air is very humid. The leak alarm on my subal housing (for Canon 5D MII) went off last night for a no apperant reason. The housing was as dry as it can be. This morning I took it to the boat and the leak alarm light was still blinking. I installed the camera in to the housing and blew some air from the second stage, and that was it. Leak light was off immediately. I touched the leak sensor with a wet finger, light started blinking again, blew some more dry air from mouth piece and all worked out well. It seems the sensors on Subal housing are very sensitive to humidity.

  8. body { background: #FFFFFF; margin: 0px; padding: 4px; font-family: Verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; } I have come across the same problem in Phuket (yesterday) where air is very humid. The leak alarm on my subal housing (for Canon 5D MII) went off last night for a no apperant reason. The housing was as dry as it can be. This morning I took it to the boat and the leak alarm light was still blinking. I installed the camera in to the housing and blew some air from the second stage, and that was it. Leak light was off immediately. I touched the leak sensor with a wet finger, light started blinking again, blew some more dry air from mouth piece and all worked out well. It seems the sensors on Subal housing are very sensitive to humidity.

     

     

     

    Just a tip and it might work. The probes or the two prongs at the bottom of the housing (inside) are covered with a heat shrink tube. You need to remove that and then use pure alcohol to clean the prongs. Tiny amount of salt residual may have deposited over time from the marine environment so the resistance is lowered. humidity will then trigger the alarm. Either use a new heat shrink tube or electrical tape and glue the thing back.

     

     

    Cheers

     

    David

  9. I just had the same exact issue yesterday. Mine was electronic related. Not the housing - me. This had never happened before. It was the 4th of July, went on a 2 tanker, strobes had issues firing all day, I finally worked out the strobe issue when i returne home and suddenly - my leak detector began to blink. No water got inside the housing. No chance to contact anyone being that it was the 4th of July. And when I tried to look on wet pixel, it said, "down for repair". My moon was obviously not in my 7th house and Jupiter was not aligned with Mars. I left the battery out overnight and this morning it was fine. Oddly, my Subal was purchased at Reef Photo as well... I'm betting Mr. Canon is somehow behind this... (Just kidding Ryan).

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.