Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Divx Clips

Started by wagsy ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Divx Clips

17 posts
  1. After watching the Divx clips that ronscuba posted from the FX7, I decided to make some myself. I found the codec always did give a sharper encode than WMV or Flash and QT H.264 is not really PC freindly.

     

    They are large files and if you do not have the Divx player, you can get if from here for both MAC and PC

     

    I got the HC1 - HC7 clips from Pmooney (scubapix) and encoded them all to Divx 1280/720 CBR 5mbps.

     

    HC1 -30 megs - camera on full auto

     

    HC7 - 185 megs - camera on full auto

     

    A1 - 120 megs - manual controls

     

    FX1 - 194 megs - manual controls

     

    HC7 Computer Colour Correction 80 megs

     

    For those that cannot download large files, I'll set up some smaller ones.

    Edited by wagsy
  2. Hey Wags,

    I have divx installed on my mac but no joy with those links....

     

    Am I just being a spanner!!!! or should I say wrench...

     

    J

  3. Unless you have a mega super dupa oopa loopa fast internet connection, I think you may have better luck saving to your desktop/computer first.

     

    They are 5mbps encoded.

     

    They play even in windows media player, media player classic and VLC player once you have the Divx codec installed.

  4. Wags, most of them will not download completely to my computer. They all abort before the end, often after about 6MB but Internet Explorer reports the download like it was complete. I've had trouble like this with your server before. Not sure what the problem is.

     

    Anyway the parts of the files that did download i liked.

     

    1280 is a good width as that's a very common screen size. For Stage6 so far I've gone with 960 x 540 as that is exactly half the number of lines of 1080i.

     

    I did notice what I thought might interlace combing on the HC1 clip. Did you deinterlace? If so how?

  5. Nick

    I'll download them my end to see how they go.

     

    Pmooney loaded up a 1 gig file to it the other day that I then downloaded no problems.

    That HC1 ws a QT clip from him that I just converted to Divx.

     

    I used Dr Divx to encode them as that drag and drop one is pretty limited in what it can do.

    De interlacing...I'll see if Dr Divx did it.

     

     

    EDIT:....I just downloaded all the files and they played back no problems my end.

    Edited by wagsy
  6. EDIT:....I just downloaded all the files and they played back no problems my end.

     

    All files downloaded nicely to Denmark.

     

    All played fine in Mediaplayer, except Phenom.avi, which only played in the DivX player.

  7. Good to hear Hans.

    I think I'll will stick with Divx now as the files are very fast and easy to make unlike the other formats like WMV or H.264 and its beter than FLASH.

     

    I made some 1440/1080 ones as well straight out of EDIUS but 1280/720 seems to be a good size.

     

    Hows the Whales in the blue water...HC1 clip.... abit wobbly by the guy who shot it but if all goes to plan, we will get in with then next year and shot them with something abit better.

     

    Warming up over there yet?

  8. Hows the Whales in the blue water...HC1 clip.... abit wobbly by the guy who shot it but if all goes to plan, we will get in with then next year and shot them with something abit better.

     

    Warming up over there yet?

     

    The whales are fine, but the blue water has some visible pixel's, but that's how it goes when a big area almost got the same colour. And yes, a pair of steady hands would have helped :)

     

    The summer here in Denmark has been awful, windy and cold AARGH :wub:

     

    - and very wet - not so much because of diving, but the amount of rain we got, has made new records several times. I haven't got a clue where "this" will end :(

  9. Open blue water is very hard on any encoder.

    The full res HD QT file that was sent to me was clean though.

     

    So you have not got your little boat out much then. :(

    No rain here but lots of wind and swell. :wub:

  10. Wags, I also had trouble downloading the files.

    The DL stopped several times before the file was complete. I ssemed like timouts to me. When downloading, speed was fine.

     

    After a few tries I managed to get most of them.

    Quality is very nice!

  11. Must be some gremlins in the pipe between Aus and Thailand then Wags.

     

    What would be really interesting would be a side by side comparison of the same clip, same size, same bitrate done with DivX, Flash, WMV9, QT, Xvid etc etc..

  12. We could do that -couldnt we wags ?

  13. How crazy is that.... I'm loading up the clips right now. :(

    That whale clip is perfect to test the codecs out on.

     

    I encoded all files from the same HDV timeline to 1280/720 @ CBR 5mbps...they all came in around 30 megs.

     

    QT H.264

    WMV

    Divx

    Flash

    Xvid

     

    Man it's late...I should be in bed :wub:

  14. Well here are the links.

    Some may be abit larger in size due to different audio compression settings.

    All 1280/720 CBR to 5mbps and encoded straight out of EDIUS timeline.

     

     

    HC1 FLASH

     

    HC1 QT H.264

     

    HC1 WMV

     

    HC1 Divx

     

    HC1 Xvid

     

    and the winner is....... :rolleyes:

  15. Man it's late...I should be in bed :)

     

    - and so you did, without making the links available :rolleyes:

     

    Pssst Wags - are you sleeping ? - it's only 7pm now, so you cannot go to bed yet :P

     

    ZZzzzzzzzzzzz ;)

     

    Sweet dreams........................

     

    Edit: Argh.... I was posting while you where uploading. Thanks, now go to bed !

    Edited by skawdiver
  16. G'morning

     

    All of the encoders have problems with the blue water, but some was better at it than others.

     

    This is my verdict.

     

    Best: Flash - for overall performance

    Second: QT H.264 - Best at the blue water, but I have a feeling of some stuttering, or is it just me ?

    Third: Xvid

    Fourth: WMV+Divx

     

    -now we just need to make a comparison with a clip that has lot's of different colours and some fast moving action......

     

    B)

    Edited by skawdiver
  17. Hey Hans

    I thought H.264 was best with the blue water followed by wmv?.

    It depends abit on your graphics card as well.

     

    Lest see what others have to say.....

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.