
E=me and nosrod,
Your replies to my post were impressively sarcastic and condescending. Nice work.
“Unfortunately, I've got to take issue and do damage control with the content of your post #5. Nothing in your post offered an opening of the subject; rather it was the all too familiar closer. You see, I had
this idea in my previous post (#4) about turning the "dogs as bait" story into a pro-shark petition that I didn't want to see evaporate with someone's aimless counterpointing about the validity of the Reunion "dogs as bait" situation.â€
I must have missed the memo in which this thread was handed over to you. I didn’t “close†this thread; I simply offered up a skeptical analysis in which I pointed out that the evidence that the dogs-as-shark-bait is a widespread problem is scant and suspicious. The very purpose of this thread was to open a discussion about the validity of this story. Some of us may be interested in looking into this Réunion story––the subject of the thread, after all––instead of assuming that it is a sign of a worldwide problem of terrestrial mammals being turned into shark bait. If you want to start a “pro-shark†petition, why use this story as a spark? And why not start your petition elsewhere, or start your own thread to do so?
Incidentally, you could enact laws banning the use of all mammals as bait, but that would do nothing to curb shark fishing. Most sharks are caught on hooks baited with cephalopods or fish. If you want to spend your time campaigning to end the use of dogs as bait, fine. But you might help the sharks more by taking an approach that would actually make a dent in shark fishing effort.
“As for this particular case, read the previous posts and the provided links throughly (as e=me suggests) before you pound those keys and needlessly kill a thread that may generate some good for one of the
ocean's most endangered species.â€
I did read them thoroughly, hence my skepticism. (By the way, sharks are not a species. It is hyperbolic and inaccurate to make the blanket statement that they are “one of the ocean’s most endangered speciesâ€. Some shark populations are doing badly; others aren’t.) As I’ve already pointed out, those websites provide:
1) photos from a single series of video images taken from a French news story (which I already watched, thank you)
2) an admission by a Réunion official that there was a local problem and that it was being dealt with
3) an Urban Myth site's description of the local problem and the subsequent global outrage that may or may not have been justified
4) a series of vague images on Sea Shepherd of mistreated or malnourished dogs, with only a few of them bearing small hooks embedded in their paws (where? when? how?)
5) a French news segment about the Réunion case––not a regional or global issue
All of this is akin to finding footage of a dog being butchered in a Chinese restaurant, then linking to a Flickr page displaying photos of all the three-legged dogs in the world, and then claiming that all those three-legged dogs were maimed by crazed Chinese chefs who need to be stopped. This is absurd, albeit too common these days of rapid response and instantaneous dissemination of info (real and bogus) on the internet. If you want to do some good for sharks, start by compiling scientific facts and hard evidence and culling out the sensational, inadequately-supported stuff about how dogs are part of the equation. The more you rely on easily-refuted, inadequately-sourced or unsubstantiated facts to support your cause, the more likely it is that John Q. Public will never pay attention to you again after your fuzzy math or unsupported claims have been analyzed and torn apart. It's all about credibility, and once you lose it it's really hard to get it back.
“And, frankly, your judgments on how one would really use a dog to catch a shark indicate a complete abstinence from thought.â€
Actually, I thought about this a great deal, instead of simply looking at images of hooked dogs (and non-hooked dogs) on the Web and leaping to the conclusion that they all were deliberately hooked to serve as shark bait. Like I said, you can turn on the TV and watch shows in which domestic dogs are taken to the vet because they have stumbled into fishing gear or swallowed hooks. Should we assume that their owners had actually hooked them on purpose? I don’t think so.
“So, if you want to be a fly in the ointment - first learn to fly well and then dive into the appropriate goop. I'll make an appeal: With the stakes so high regarding the oceans, please do the experiencing, reading, listening, and pondering required to establish a genuine knowledge base and a theoretical stance that can then join with others to make a difference, and not merely a noise. I would ask that you or anyone seriously getting involved in the protection of aquatic species and their habitats at least know the tenants of ecology and develop some capacity for thinking holistically and for the common good.â€
(I assume you meant "tenets" of ecology.) I’ve got to hand it to you, that’s right up there with one of the most pompous, condescending, and undeserved attacks I’ve ever experienced––even on the WWW, where people easily lose their sense of decorum and assume that those who disagree with them must be illiterate, lazy morons. I assure you, my education and experience in marine biology, particularly elasmobranch biology, has included plenty of “experiencing, reading, listening, and pondering required to establish a genuine knowledge base and a theoretical stance"––certainly enough so that I have the right to post my reaction to Giles’ post. As a biologist, I handled thousands of sharks and experienced hundreds of days and nights on fishing boats and research vessels in the North Pacific, South Pacific, North Atlantic, and Gulf of Mexico, all for the purpose of learning about the realities of humanity’s relationship with marine organisms and the biology of those species, sharks in particular. I also spent two years living on a remote island where dogs were not treated as family members, so I had the chance to think about anthropomorphism and the legitimacy of other ways of regarding and treating sentient beings. And now I work full-time as a writer and editor, with my sole purpose being the dissemination of facts and the encouragement of the scientific method and reasoned skepticism in this increasingly bullshit-stained work. All of this experience went into my analysis of the “evidence†in this story, hence my skepticism that dogs-as-bait is a problem worthy of our time, energy, and conservation-minded efforts. If you are looking for a dope who doesn’t know what he’s talking about and doesn’t read or ponder before “pounding the keys,†you’ll have to look elsewhere.
I hope you do write a pro-shark petition. If it makes any sense, I'll probably sign it. (I actually once helped with a successful effort to ban shark finning in Hawaii, which at the time was the hub of shark-fin traffic in the Pacific.) I hope you'll in turn pay me the courtesy of not assuming that just because I question the veracity or scale of this particular story that I don't know how to read or think, or that I don't know far far more about this stuff than you do.