Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Exporting from FCP using QT Conversion

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Exporting from FCP using QT Conversion

10 posts
  1. I know this topic has come up before but I have been having heaps of issues exporting my timeline using QT conversion. Everytime I do it, it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 and squashes the footage up. I have the squence pre set to HDV 50i, I have set the QT to 16:9 best quality and it squashes it, if I set to DV Pal 16:9 same result, I have even tried to export as a dix x file as 16:9 and again squashes it.

     

    Now I don't know if this is linked but if I try and export a frame as a still image... yes you guessed it it is squashed to 4:3.

     

    If I just export as a quicktime movie it works fine.

     

    By the way I'm using FCP 5.1.4 if that helps

     

    Any ideas???

     

    Thanks

     

    Jon

  2. Hi,

     

    I had to face with the same problem a while ago. A quick solution can be: when you open the mov file with the quicktime, in the movie properties you are allowed to change the size (I mean the pixels) of the movie. If you switch off the constrain aspect ratio setting, the only thing you have to do is to set a good value in the relevant field. For example if you have a DV-PAL anamorphic video, and its size is 720x576, simple change the 720 to 1024, and the right aspect ratio will come back, just switch off the constrain option.

    If you save the movie, it will save this settings as well.

     

    I am not a video expert, but I think this phenomenon is related to the square and the non-square pixels.

  3. Generally I avoid "QuickTime Conversion". Export Qt movie then use compressor to set to your target format. If you export using "current settings" you will not be adding an additional encode.

  4. I know this topic has come up before but I have been having heaps of issues exporting my timeline using QT conversion. Everytime I do it, it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 and squashes the footage up. I have the squence pre set to HDV 50i, I have set the QT to 16:9 best quality and it squashes it, if I set to DV Pal 16:9 same result, I have even tried to export as a dix x file as 16:9 and again squashes it.

     

    Now I don't know if this is linked but if I try and export a frame as a still image... yes you guessed it it is squashed to 4:3.

     

    If I just export as a quicktime movie it works fine.

     

    By the way I'm using FCP 5.1.4 if that helps

     

    Any ideas???

     

    Thanks

     

    Jon

     

    This one dealt with some aspect picture issues on the NTSC side

     

    Aspect Pictures

     

    As to the export issue, have you tried exporting using Compressor from the timeline with one of the presets for 16:9 in the Inspector? (Page 202 of the Compressor 2 PDF Manual)? Or are you setting any of the options when you do the Quicktime Conversion (size tabe when the option comes up?) Sounds like you are, but double check. I just ran a test and not setting the option properly would have the movie pop open in 4:3 (using default settings.)

     

    But the quick solution Jules mentioned is also one that works.

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  5. Thanks Shawn,

    What I have been doing is just exporting as a quicktime movie and then just dropping that into iDVD or Toast depending on whether I want menus etc. When I use compressor I and export using best settings etc I end up with three files, the video, the audio and a dolby file I think. How do I reconnect it all back together in DVD Studio?

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

  6. Thanks Shawn,

    What I have been doing is just exporting as a quicktime movie and then just dropping that into iDVD or Toast depending on whether I want menus etc. When I use compressor I and export using best settings etc I end up with three files, the video, the audio and a dolby file I think. How do I reconnect it all back together in DVD Studio?

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

     

     

    Drag the m2v and dolby file into DVD SP asset bin, then drag them onto the track. You are better off with the Dolby File as oppossed to the PCM file, helps with playback on some players and you can allocate more to the video portion of the DVD.

  7. Thanks mate,

     

    Can you drag those into iDVD too?

     

    Jon

  8. Thanks mate,

     

    Can you drag those into iDVD too?

     

    Jon

     

     

    Nope, cannot import the elements. What you can do is export from the FCP timeline (the top Quicktime option) then bring it into iDVD.

     

    You can set a couple of encoding options in iDVD (speed/size/quality tradeoff) and the audio will be PCM. But you can get good results. More control in DVD SP since it is more "pro", but iDVD is a good little app also

  9. Thanks again for super quick response. I will try it tonight.

     

    Jon

  10. Thanks again for super quick response. I will try it tonight.

     

    Jon

     

     

    NP, I am sure it will get going properly

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.