To make sure I wasn't putting wrong info out there, I did a little follow-up on this too and talked to my editor at Corbis Images to see if they had anything new on this. They have set new standards, but unfortunately a D100 or S2 barely meets the criteria. Rules differ for editorial vs commercial, with commercial being more rigid. I suspect if I were a really hot photographer they might make some exceptions to these rules, but...
Although I can cough up enough Mb if I keep the file in RAW format at 12 bits per pixel, the minute I convert it to a standard 8 bit TIFF, I'm back to 17.2 Mb. For editorial submissions this might be OK (but would not allow any cropping), but for commercial submissions would not be accepted.
Here are the requirements (edited some for simplicity)
COMMERCIAL: Technical File Specifications
Scanned File Size Requirements
o The Minimum Commercial Image file size is 50MB, RGB Tiff in Adobe RGB (1998)-Color Space (16.7MB gray scale Color Space "Dot gain 20%".) Maximum file size is 80MB
Digital Camera File Size Requirements
o The Minimum Commercial Digital Image file size is 33MB, or higher, RGB Tiff in Adobe RGB (1998) -Color Space (11MB gray scale Color Space "Dot gain 20%") Maximum file size is 80MB
File format requirements:
o Tiff in Adobe RGB (1998) Color Space
o Raw digital camera files in Adobe 1998 RGB Color Space
EDITORIAL: Technical File Specifications
Scanned File Size Requirements
o The Minimum Editorial Image file size is 33MB, RGB Tiff in Adobe RGB (1998)-Color Space (11MB gray scale Color Space "Dot gain 20%".) Maximum file size is 80MB
Digital Camera File Size Requirements
o The Minimum Editorial Digital Image file size is 17MB, or higher, RGB Tiff in Adobe RGB (1998) -Color Space (5.6MB gray scale Color Space "Dot gain 20%") Maximum file size is 80MB
File format requirements:
o Tiff in Adobe RGB (1998) Color Space
o Raw digital camera files in Adobe 1998 RGB Color Space
They also have a whole list of image criteria but I'm not sure if I should be publicly distributing this much info so I'll leave it at this.
I have found a work-around to the restrictions of my stock agencies, that is to start one of my own. There's more than one way to filet a fish.