Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dumb Question: Pressurizing a housing?

Started by Dan Schwartz ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Dumb Question: Pressurizing a housing?

27 posts
  1. Well, I'll be... I learned something new today.

     

    Alas, his box only has the sizes on it! -_-

     

     

    DZUS4317.jpg

     

    QUOTE

    Jack (my fiancee's father) always calls them "zeus fasteners..." But what would he know.

     

    Hopefully Jack wasn't spelling it like you do, but I don't know what he knows.

     

    I worked with "zeus" fasteners, too, when I was an auto mechanic and helped with my boss's race car. I knew how to spell it AND pronounce it. When I was told to get "zeus" fasteners, I looked for the box with "Dzus" written on it. :wub:

     

    Look it up if you don't believe me. Here's a start.

  2. Here is a soft housing for a video camera.

    The air is regulated by an extra LPI hose like a dry suit.

     

     

    soft.jpg

  3. Bingo! :wub:

     

    If it's good to 30 feet, I'm in business!

     

    I especially like the idea of the flexible pieces so the photographer can reach in and twiddle the controls. In fact, give me an extra 5 inches, and I can pull a Grafmatic magazine to change frames!

     

    Where do I buy one of these housings? -_-

     

    Here is a soft housing for a video camera.

    The air is regulated by an extra LPI hose like a dry suit.

    soft.jpg

    Edited by Dan Schwartz
  4. When I was in school 20 some years ago we had Ernest Brooks II come out on a few of our dive trips. He had a Hasselblad Super Wide in a Hasselblad housing, (super old school, even for the time) and there was a shrader (bicycle tire type) valve sticking out the back of it. He put the camera together pumped a few pumps of air in and hit the water. He said the added pressure would buy him a little time to get to the surface if he saw any bubbles coming out anywhere which did happen from time to time.

  5. Wow! Rise of the zombie thread! I thought "Walking Dead" was on Sunday night! :) It was funny seeing eric comment on a very few top U/W photographers now starting to use vacuum systems. Boy, how far we have come on that one! I might go back and try to resurrect a thread commenting on those new fangled digital cameras (like THAT would ever catch on). ;)

    Edited by diverdoug1
  6. Wow! Rise of the zombie thread! I thought "Walking Dead" was on Sunday night! :) It was funny seeing eric comment on a very few top U/W photographers now starting to use vacuum systems. Boy, how far we have come on that one! I might go back and try to resurrect a thread commenting on those new fangled digital cameras (like THAT would ever catch on). ;)

     

    :D but also a nice little quote from Paul Kay (UK distributor for SeaCam)

     

    Most modern housings use 'O' rings together with a preloading latch or lock system which increases in efficiacy as more external pressure is applied.

     

    Strike a chord at all? ;)

     

    On the subject of positive pressure, has the iDive come up in conversation on the forum yet?

     

    http://idivehousing.com/

  7.  

    :D but also a nice little quote from Paul Kay (UK distributor for SeaCam)

     

    Strike a chord at all? ;)

    Actually, although I'm not sure entirely about this, something I've come across makes me suspect that a positive pressure device designed to be capable of running at several bar may fall foul of pressure vessel regulations here in the UK and might potentially need periodic testing and may also require a fail safe blow out valve fitting - I believe that this might depend on its volume and the pressure - I know model steam engines require something this and they don't run at very high pressures. Given the potential for someone to sue should a pressurised housing fail to depressurise and then potentially cause injury I'm not sure that it would be easily marketable here either.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.