work with the Nvidia graphics cards of the new MBP, unless there's been an update in the last 2 mths.
Drew
Yup your are correct, I totally blanked on this one and thought it was taken care of. ![]()
Read-only discussion
work with the Nvidia graphics cards of the new MBP, unless there's been an update in the last 2 mths.
Drew
Yup your are correct, I totally blanked on this one and thought it was taken care of. ![]()
You'll be stoked with the MacBookPro. For 4 years I made a living off of editing with my Powerbook Titanium. Of course I used a lot of peripherals though: 21" Monitor, FCP Keyboard, Contour Shuttle Pro and lots of harddrives. That laptop is about 7 years old now and still runs great. Of course when at home I stick with my supped up MacPro. Now that's a beast of a machine.
As far as which model to go with I agree that you're not going to notice a difference with the faster processor, buy the RAM and don't buy from Apple, they like to bend the uninformed over. When you do buy your RAM make sure it's from a reputable company that offers a lifetime warranty.
Good luck
Billy
Let me strongly recommend ram from Crucial or Ramjet. I have used both without complaint and both are highly regarded by pros everywhere. Plus, you will save a bunch of money by not buying the Apple ram which is just fine but very expensive. Simply take out the 2 1gig chips and install 2 two gigs chips. Save the original one gig chips should you ever have to bring the laptop in for service. I also recommend the extended warranty.
Steve B)
For 4 years I made a living off of editing with my Powerbook Titanium.....That laptop is about 7 years old now and still runs great.
Well mine still runs as a server and web machine for guests... My paint peeled off at 3 mths and 6 repeated replacements to Apple later, I sanded it off. That was the 2nd biggest bomb Apple has ever sold me.
As for RAM, Apple usually uses Samsung memory. A few places sell the same specs for less.
Well mine still runs as a server and web machine for guests... My paint peeled off at 3 mths and 6 repeated replacements to Apple later, I sanded it off. That was the 2nd biggest bomb Apple has ever sold me.As for RAM, Apple usually uses Samsung memory. A few places sell the same specs for less.
If that was the 2nd biggest bomb what was the 1st?
I like to call my powerbook FrankenMac. It does still runs like a champ but my case has been modified somewhat. The things that physically went wrong with my powerbook (which apple fixed even though I didn't purchase applecare for it) have all been fixed in the new models and they kick some serious butt. Apple never stopped short of going above and beyond fixing anything and while fixing something replacing anything that showed any sign of normal wear and tear. Their service is pretty amazing, I had a freak thing go out on my 3 1/2 year old G5($2,500 computer) and they completely replaced it with a brand new Mac Pro ($4,000 setup) Yeah I'll take that free upgrade.
Billy
So to summarise:
A MBP 15" with FCS2 and an upgrade to 4gb will be fine for editing my films together and putting them on DVD for film fests etc...as long as i have an ext monitor to colour with (my 26" sony)...
Yes....or no...no blah de blah talk or computer geek jibberish please...
Dive safe
DeanB
So to summarise:
A MBP 15" with FCP2 and an upgrade to 4gb will be fine for editing my films together and putting them on DVD for film fests etc...as long as i have an ext monitor to colour with (my 26" sony)...
Yes....or no...no blah de blah talk or computer geek jibberish please...
Dive safe
DeanB
Yes, + some extra harddrives to utilize other codecs than HDV to get quicker encoding.
Welcome :-)
KÖSZÖNÖM Jules...
Hope you had a great xmas and a unicum new year ![]()
Dive safe
DeanB
Yeah and an Express eSATA card for 120MB/s bandwidth so you can almost do uncompressed work with a RAID array.![]()
I'll come back to you in another 19 days...
But until then..cheers Drew...I think... ![]()
![]()
Dive safe
Dean( i will take time to learn the black arts..one day)B
Might not be a bad idea to come back in 19 days actually Dean. Sounds like the MBPs might be due for a refurb.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro
You could potentially either get a new one with updated specs for same price, or a just superseded one for less. Either way a potentially good outcome if you can hold out for a few weeks. Of course, if you need it now, then go jump in. You never know with these sorts of predictions, rumors are only that - no guarantees.
Always the way...
It will have to be a significent change though...unless their getting wise to peoples own upgrades of the MBP...and doing it for us... ![]()
Lord...will I ever be satisfied....
NO YOU GREEDY MORTAL
![]()
Dive safe
DeanB
So to summarise:
A MBP 15" with FCP2 and an upgrade to 4gb will be fine for editing my films together and putting them on DVD for film fests etc...as long as i have an ext monitor to colour with (my 26" sony)...
Yes....or no...no blah de blah talk or computer geek jibberish please...
Dive safe
DeanB
If you're not an editor and do not know FCP then I would say no. FCP 2 is much different than 3 and 3 is much easier to use and much improved. I don't know if FCP 2 or 3 will even work on an intel mac, I'd check. Obviously Final Cut Studio 2 will be your best bet but you probably don't want to spend that kind of money. You could also try Final Cut Express. There's my Yes or No answer. BTW if your editing DV footage a firewire 400 drive will work fine, we never had any problems with streaming footage in FCP off of them. They work great as capture drives too.
Billy
Sorry thats what i ment FCS2...
Dive safe
DeanB
Sorry thats what i ment FCS2...
Dive safe
DeanB
Well then you're stoked. You'll have a setup to make most PC users drool over. When you get it, learn COLOR. It's a difficult program to get into but can do some amazing things.
Billy
Why thanks Billy... ![]()
Dive safe
DeanB
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.