I've been shooting the 40D now for a while (on land) and I'm starting to get the hang of this digital way of seeing the world. I shot the 350D for a couple of years before that (on land) to start to make the transistion. CS3 is up and running, working on that too. I have found it fascinating though that I still find myself shooting in a series of 36 shots. I'll start working on something and when I think I should be done, the frame counter is on 36. 30+ years of diving with film has rattled by brain I guess. (too much nitrogen or rum)
It's a very tough habit to break, for me anyway. On land it's not that big a deal, I just notice the frame counter and keep shooting. But underwater I'm expecting to be a completely different thing, There is a timing to a dive that I need to relearn. Time in the ocean in special places is too precious to waste but slamming away until the batteries are dead isn't the answer either.
I've watched guys shoot hundreds of images a dive but they didn't come back with much. I'm curious to know how many frames you pros typically shoot on a dive assuming your not limited by your card? I'm guessing WA and Macro might be different numbers. How do you think about the timing of the shots?
I'd also like to know how long it took for those of you that transitioned from film to get in the digital shooting habit. Your thoughts appreciated.
Steve