Considering photography as art, why does it matter whether anything was added or anything was removed? All I dislike is when something is represented as something it isn't, and that wouldn't happen if people didn't insist on photography being competitive. Keep in mind this is art, not journalism.
Likewise, people speak of photoshopping as though it were a bad thing. Once again, people look at it as cheating because they view photography competitively.
The downside of photoshopping is that it is often used as a crutch. We know that the best images result when we pay attention to each step in the process. Learning how we prefer to do raw conversions, how we optimize color, sharpening, backscatter removal, etc. in photoshop or any other post tool is just one of the many steps we take.
Would we accuse someone of cheating if he used a lens to advantage that none of us had access to? Sadly, yes we would, because many of us view this process as a means of proving our superiority and we would move to ban that equipment from competition. Yes, people are that petty, not just in photography but in all competition. Increasingly I despise photography competition because it negatively influences how people feel about what a photographer should and should not do.
I don't care whether anyone feels what I do to my images is cheating or not. I do what I do purely for the pleasure of it. If people don't like my images then that's OK. I take interest in the techniques of others, whether I agree with them or not, because I view photography as an activity best enjoyed cooperatively. The best way to learn is to participate with other experienced photographers, and my preconceived notions on technique may be wrong. I would say generally that all of ours are at one time or another.
Of course, for those that insist on having contests, beyond the POTW variety that I am in favor of, there have to be arbitrary rules. With film it was easy because you had a final product you could hold in your hand. We have to accept rules that limit what we can do with digital when we compete, but we should not let that cloud our judgment as to what is acceptable in general.
P.S. I've had the opportunity to do a trip just once since Lightroom/Aperture has been available and using Lightroom was entirely new to me at the start of that trip. Nevertheless my experience was that 95%+ of my images didn't leave Lightroom. That's not because I viewed exporting the image to PS was bad but simply because it was not needed. I'd expect that if I didn't have such a long layoff since my previous diving that the ratio would be even more imbalanced. Nevertheless, if an image needs more specialized tools than Lightroom offers (and I consider it a keeper), I won't hesitate to use them. When we dive many months out of the year, we can afford to me more choosy.