THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS TO GET YOUR RULES/LAWS AND IDEAS
It has been great to see the different manipulation, etiquette threads going. It shows this subject is moving to the forefront of issues.
Now IMVeryHO it is time to come up with a “10 Commandments of Underwater Photographyâ€, “The Underwater Photographers Credo†or whatever people want to call it. Again IMHO it is something many of the luminaries that frequent this site and others should get behind!
Unlike this post, it should be short, to the point and evangelized to all dive related sites. Better yet it would be great to get PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc, to use them in their Photography modules and classes.
“Rules†will give us a starting point as a community. Hopefully it would make the life of dive guides, dive shops and all those dependant on tips easier. They could have something to post and point to during dive briefings and say “we abide by the Underwater Photographers 10 Commandments and we ask you do to.†Also a great way to gently approach say a new diver/photog that might be struggling with buoyancy, etc…
Much of the following was copied from the excellent thread started by Big Blue One with some of my additions.
IN YOUR REPLY LIST YOUR RULES. Feel free to amend, improve, and change any of the following.
1. I believe that preservation of the reef and the creatures of the sea are more important than any image I may capture.
2. I will never physically move, touch or manipulate any subject and ask my Dive Guide does not either.
3. I will never put more than two fingers on DEAD Reef, rock or sand to hold position.
4. I will not lie all over the reef just to get a better angle.
5. I will assess the current, the surrounding area and any fragile reef forms that may be at risk when I wade in with my camera
6. Non camera holders always get first call at critter viewing, unless it is something I found.
7. I will Adapt my kick style and body position keeping my legs and body off the reef
8. I will endeavor to work with diver/photogs who may not be aware of the rules above. I can no longer stand aside and see that which we all profess to enjoy be abused. (I know very controversial)
9. I will endeavor to support dive operations and publishers that support the "10 Commandments"
10. Ok I am out of self-righteous statements.
Let it be said: Yes there is a lot of grey; yes just our presence effects the wildlife and yes the agreed upon guidelines, rules, laws will not stop all bad behavior. I am fully aware I don’t have to put food on the table with my photos; I am an amateur hack so please excuse if this comes out holier than thou.
Of course any English majors, or creative types it would be great to get your input on how to make this the most presentable. Also input on how to get this spread around the web and submitted to PADI, NAUI, etc, would be appreciated.