Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel hit by DDoS attack last night

Started by echeng ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel hit by DDoS attack last night

33 posts
  1. ....automated friends to cooperate....

     

    :) Never underestimate the Power of the Rabbit....

    post-7698-1201274548_thumb.jpg

    Edited by bartusderidder
  2. After Cor's explanation I remember a story I read about Blue Ball security or something on wired ages ago.

     

    It is entirely likely that the attacker was not after Wetpixel at all. It may have been someone else that Austin Dev hosts .. or even Austin Dev itself.

     

    The hacker just found wetpixel to be the easy way in.

     

    I think this stuff is very cool and it is amazing what can be done, and even though it is not cool for the people being attacked I always am very interested in whats really behind it.

     

    for anyone wanting a very interesting read check this out .. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/botnet.html

  3. I couldn't play it either at first, but then download FLV player from http://www.applian.com/flvplayer/ and works now :)

    This is for PC. I have Flash Player on my Mac, it's just that the file opens as a blank window.

    Edited by loftus
  4. I think this stuff is very cool

    I'm not sure what's cool about it. Sure it takes smarts to do, but no more smarts than it took to set it up in the first place. I think it pretty screwed up if you ask me. Messing with other peoples stuff is criminal, unethical, dishonest, no matter how you do it.

    The guys who are doing this, obviously think it's cool too.

  5. There's a few things to know when it comes to dos attacks.

     

    First, there's different types. You can attack a network with lots of traffic, but you can also attack an application with lots of requests. Say, a webserver like wetpixel. It's quite easy to get a webserver to its knees with application level dos attacks, because the cost to the attacker (a few packets saying 'hey, show me wetpixel.com') are nothing compared to that of wetpixel (it needs to load info from the databases, render webpages, css, javascript, and output it all to the client. So, i can quickly send say 100 requests to wetpixel, and that may already be enough to kill it. Applications often have defense mechanisms to prevent problems like this.

     

    Eric had said that even the switches at the provider he hosts went down. That looks more like a network attack. Even though there are still silly brats doing small scale traffic ddos attacks, they are usually too small to really make a dent. Most attacks these days originate from what are called 'botnets'. Thousands, tens of thousands, sometimes millions of machines centrally controlled by a small gang of criminals. They get control of these machines through virusses and other malware that infects the machine of some poor grandma, who doesnt know their machine is now fully operated by a remote party. Through what are called 'Command and Control' systems, these gangs then send a single command that makes the whole controlled network operate as 1 single entity, blasting away the victim. You cant do that much about it, especially not at the level of wetpixel and its hosting company.

     

    This is a multi million dollar underground industry. These gangs operate spam networks for hire, and the same goes for ddos attacks. Pay $1000 bucks and you get so much downtime for a victim host. It's really sad.

     

    Our company has the 'pleasure' to deal with this stuff all the time, because we have about 400,000 DSL customers, and they are a prime victim for hosting a botnet clone. At any given time probably hundreds of our customers are infected.

     

    Luckily some global projects are happening that could combat these types of DDOS attacks better, and more importantly. trace back the command and control networks.

     

    Cor

  6. Re: flash not playing back -- that's strange. It's the same version I embed into my webpages, which I've never had a problem playing back. But I can't get it to play in the browser without embedding it via code.

     

    I normally use flvThing (the simplest flv player I could fine), which works.

  7. Here is another FREE FLV player.

    This is what I used to watch Mr Erics clips with.

  8. Lol Simon....maybe T. Cruise is hiding somewhere on WP....

    I wonder what Scientology's attitude towards crossdressing is... :P:):guiness:

  9. Lol Simon....maybe T. Cruise is hiding somewhere on WP....

    I wonder what Scientology's attitude towards crossdressing is... :guiness::):guiness:

     

    Bartus, sorry I accidentally unleashed my little script kiddie friends after being publicly ridiculed for wearing my pink tassles on Wetpixel... :guiness:

     

    And while they were at it, I had them attack that Dutch school, just because... they're Dutch... :P j/k

    Edited by pakman
  10. ...after being publicly ridiculed for my pink tassles on Wetpixel

     

    I will no longer tease pink Pak // I will no longer tease pink Pak // I will no longer tease pink Pak

    I will no longer tease pink Pak // I will no longer tease pink Pak // I will no longer tease pink Pak

    I will no longer tease pink Pak // I will no longer tease pink Pak // I will no longer tease pink Pak

    I will no longer tease pink Pak // I will no longer tease pink Pak // I will no longer tease pink Pak

     

    ...just because... there Dutch... :) j/k

     

    :P haha, I'm Belgian anyway :guiness::guiness:

  11. :) haha, I'm Belgian anyway :guiness::guiness:

     

    aah, you all look to same to me... j/k :P

  12. And while they were at it, I had them attack that Dutch school, just because... they're Dutch... :) j/k

     

     

    Why do I think of Austin Powers when you said this?

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.