I just read the article, along with the comments posted.
It is a shame they didn't post a point/countepoint type of article. A lot of what he said is true.....at least for the moment, sadly it was skewed in such a negative tone that anyone who shoots digital is bound to go ballistic.
I have many friends who shoot full time pro wildlife/nature stuff. I would estimate that over 85% of them are still using film. Maybe not exclusively, but primarily. Reasons; "I simply cannot get the resolution I need yet", and more importantly "My customers want film". For some reason, many agencies are still requesting 40-120mb fles uninterploated.
With todays technology, these ideas may be outdated, but they still exist in the marketplace and until the marketplace has universally accepted digital camera produced images, I don't blame him for wanting to shoot film.....its a wider audience.
As many of you know, I shoot purely digital on land, and purely film underwater (on those rare occurances when I get to dive). I shoot film for one main reason..dependable dedicated TTL flash. Yes I know fuji has ttl, but for those of us invested in Canon gear, until canon releases its ETTLl technology, or until someone successfully backwards engineers a working ettl strobe sysem, I will shoot film. The day that changes, I will probably switch bck to digital again.
I agree that digital handles shadow recovery TONS better than film, but highlights are still an issue with digital, I struggle with it on land constantly. Its a trade-off, but one I would get used to if we ever get a really dedicated flash system. And yes, I do shoot manual strobes on occasion, but I love TTL, I have a much better chance of shooting a correct exposure with TTL on one shot with a skittish animal than manual......I simply dont dive enough to really master manual flash, and many subjects I shoot don't seem to want to hang around for a second or third try.
Please belive me when I say this is not digital bashing. I am a huge dgital fan, shoot exclusively digital on land, and truly can't wait for the day when I can buy a reasonably priced canon digital set up that will handle the strobes properly. I will be the first in line to buy it.
My 2 cents.....worth about what you paid for it! 