Folks,
My new Sea & Sea 40D rig arrived yesterday. My first DSLR is finally here. 27 boxes of shiny new parts and lots of paper and bubble wrap. The UPS guy brought the new MDX 40D housing, the 60MM compact port, the 100mm DX port, the NX dome port and 2 YS250 strobes plus assorted focus gears, cords and chargers. For about two hours I just sat in a state of awe and just looked at it sitting there on the bed. Neat brown boxes all labeled "Underwater Camera Equipment". It took 20 years to make this happen. To want something for so long and finally see it laid out before you is a kind of mind blowing experience. Trying not to act like a kid at Christmas I carefully opened each box and checked the contents. I took about 4 hours to check and lube each o-ring and it all went together surprisingly easily ( I had memorized the manual waiting for Sea & Sea to design and build this beauty). I must tell you I have a new found appreciation for you folks who shoot these full size SLR rigs. I used to think caring for a Nikonos was a pain. You have earned a whole new level of respect from yours truly.
I of course marched around the house when I got the camera installed, strobes all a kimbo, hanging off the new UCLS arms, taking pictures of everything (all manual of course) with my wife wondering if I had finally gone completely off the deep end. After a year of planning and studying it dawned on me that I was not prepared for a couple of things. Each port segment comes with it's spare o-ring and tube of very special, it would seem from the 40 small yellow warnings littering my den, tube of lube. What in the heck am I going to do with 9 tubes of o-ring grease? (Don't answer that) As I sat there staring, I realized that some of these o-rings are different sizes, in nice little unmarked bags. How do I label and store them so I don't spend a frustrating hour some night in a small dry spot on a rocking boat looking for the right one? For now they are still in the labeled box they came in. I also wasn't quite prepared for the shear heft of the rig. How in the heck am I going to get this to the boat? There's no handle! Do I hire porters? I've been lucky enough to dive all over the world and never seen this type of processional with the UW photographer followed by his consort dutifully carrying his gear. So I'm guessing that's not the answer. There is a place to put a handle of sorts. The housing has two SS rings to attach something between but the focus light will be in the way. And if you make the handle long enough to go over the focus light it's just the right length to float down in front of the lens. I've taken enough pictures of sync cords to see that coming.
I just had to share my joy with my friends here. Very few other people outside our little asylum would understand. Any thoughts on getting my rig to the boat would be appreciated. Little red wagon? I'll post a picture of the new setup as soon as I figure out how to get my camera out of the housing. ![]()
Steve

