Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Black Snapper?

Started by kriptap ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Black Snapper?

9 posts
  1. I have seen these Black Snapper on a few dives here in Cayman, they are very rare and to my knowledge not to many people have seen or noticed them. The reason for this post is that the "Reef Fish" book describes it as: "Size 2-3½ inches" this one photographed here was clearly the size of a Yellow Tail Snapper at 7-8 inches. The book also says "Often mix with aggregation of similar appearing Blue Chromis" however the ones I've seen are never with anything, they have always been alone and were they to mix they would stand out like a sore thumb as they would be 3-4 times bigger. Depth have always been around 90-100ft, I have always found the Reef Fish book to be good and on target, but in this case they are way out.

     

    BS1.jpg

     

    BS2.jpg

  2. Hi Kriptap,

     

    What makes you think it is a black snapper. As you say the size doesn't match, adult black snappers are supposed to live below safe diving limits and in my image the visual resemblance isn't great either (although I've never seen one in the flesh). I guess you've considered alternatives and I can't come up with a good match either. I hope one of the experts chimes in to enlighten us.

     

    Bart

  3. The photo and the description are of a juvie; hence the small size. Depth is 40-200 feet, so a possibility for sure. The photo isn't exactly sharp in Reef Fish. I think you have a good guess. Fishbase is down, as usual; guess you get what you pay for...so that's my best attempt, as for the Caribbean, there really isn't another site. By the way, nice shots!

    Cheers,

    Marli

    Edited by scubamarli
  4. Hey Kriptap,

     

    This certainly looks like an older black snapper that seems to be actually starting to go black and loose the juvenile blue colouration. The photo I posted last time we discussed them shows the much bluer colour of the juvenile:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13533

     

    As this is a rarely seen fish - I would not expect the fish books to be 100% reliable on behaviour. Once the fish gets bigger than blue chromis and is no longer blue - I wouldn't expect it to hang out with them.

     

    Alex

  5. Also got this straight from the horses mouth - so to speak - from Paul Humann:

     

    It is indeed a Black Snapper, I'd say sub-adult. You will note our book picture and reference is to a "JUVENILE" - thus only the small size is noted. As this species grows, it changes from all blue becoming more black, and the photograph is of a specimen that is starting to change. This last year I photographed an individual in Utila at about 90-100 feet that was about 6 inches long, over all it was a little more blue than the image you referred to, but you could tell change in color was starting to take place as well. Like the report from Cayman, the individual was by itself and not mixed in with a school. I have already marked my corrections copy of our book to change the information and picture accordingly at the time of the next printing. I'd say that as these fish mature they move to deeper depths, nonetheless it is obvious that individual up to 6-9 inches can be observed within safe diver limits. Adults can grow to 18 inches.

    Best "fishes," Paul

  6. Cool, thanks Alex & Paul!

  7. kriptap (& Alex),

     

    These are really cool photos of the the black snapper and isn't it great how Paul gave such a detailed explanation?

     

    I've never seen one but I had a really good friend who did. She was doing the Cayman nassau grouper aggregation studies and saw one. She was so excited and explained in detail to me about how it was so amazing because it "glowed blue".

     

    kriptap, you really captured that "blue glow" and I salute you!!! B)

     

    Thanks, always compelling to see a rare and lovely fish! Carol

  8. I agree, Carol. The critter ID forum often turns up some really interesting threads - definitely one of my favourites.

    Alex

  9. That is very nice, live and learn, the first time I see one of these in this life phase... Nice photos too!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.