Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Shark bite on Shear Water, Bahamas

Started by echeng ·

  • 121Posts
  • 121Replies

Read-only discussion

Shark bite on Shear Water, Bahamas

121 posts
  1. Like most people who have weighed in on this subject, I'm very sorry to have heard that this incident occured and my condolences to the Groh family and friends. I've recently been assigned to do an article on this issue and I'm trying to look at it objectively from my perspective as both a photographer and biologist. I'm wondering if anyone knows of scientific studies (not performed by operators) that have focused on regular feeding or baiting sharks and their behavior.

     

    Ethan

    www.oceanstockimages.com

     

    My experience, in a seven year study involving identification and keeping track of close to six hundred sharks relative to six feeding locations, interspersed with swimming with the residents in between feedings, was that sharks AVOID biting companion animals at feedings, and at other times, presumably due to the harm they mutually inflict with their bites. They see humans as other animals in the submarine community, not prey.

     

    This shark attack mania tendency is really corrosive to any thinking about sharks.

    Ila

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.