Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Support Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

Started by echeng ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Support Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

26 posts
  1. I second John's opinion on waivers in Brititsh Law countries. In Canada, we use common law and waivers have extremely limited, if any, value. Hail to the Queen!

     

    Fellow canuck Jett and Walt's opinion on risks vs human activities are very well expressed and I share the same. A columnist wrote a few years a go that our society has become alergic to risk... which is an integral part of any endeavour.

     

    We want people to wear helmets to ride their bikes... more so for motor bikes... instruction manuals are ridiculously overweight... thanks to the 50-page warnings that clutter their intro pages. Who needs an advice like: do not put you wet hands in the 240V outlet if you are barefoot on the ground and if the current is on....

     

    The vast majority of people have common sense and if they dive with a reputable operator who understands what he is doing, they are simply taking a calculated risk with extremely slim chances of injury.

     

    Unfortunately, foolishness and stupidity are very well spread throughout the population and there must be as many stupid divers and there are stupid pilots, skydivers or skiers... Mind you, a diver killed by a shark takes up a lot more media space than a skier killed by a tree... which happened to be in his way...

     

    My $ 0,02

     

    Michel

  2. Hey Michel,

     

    You had both Katie and I in stitches! Well said, my friend. The world could use a little more common sense.

     

    All the best, Jett

  3. Yes, and for the record, I already received a response from Ben assuring me that the article he plans to publish will be well balanced. He responded very quickly. If anyone else feels the need to contact them, their "Contact Us" page is here:

     

    http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/contact.shtml

     

    Mike

    Just a quick update to this. I got a note last night from Undercurrent letting me know that the article was now posted online and in the April issue. The note eve went so far as to ask fo my reaction after reading. I read through it this morning and think it is well done and let Undercurrent know that.

     

    Mike

  4. Just a quick update to this. I got a note last night from Undercurrent letting me know that the article was now posted online and in the April issue. The note eve went so far as to ask fo my reaction after reading. I read through it this morning and think it is well done and let Undercurrent know that.

     

    Mike

    I see that Jim has a schedule back up on his website; time to book a trip.

    That is excellent news.

  5. Just a quick update to this. I got a note last night from Undercurrent letting me know that the article was now posted online and in the April issue. The note eve went so far as to ask fo my reaction after reading. I read through it this morning and think it is well done and let Undercurrent know that.

    Mike

     

    Ditto.

     

    I thought that, on the whole, they did an admirable job of raising/discussing all major sides of a difficult topic/event.

     

    I'm not sure quoting me added credibility to the "pro-Jim" side of the argument, though... :D

  6. Mind you, a diver killed by a shark takes up a lot more media space than a skier killed by a tree... which happened to be in his way...

     

    Michel

     

    Is the human interference in planting trees affecting their natural behaviour? Are more skiers being killed by rogue trees because more people are planting them? My goodness, I've just realised my garden is full of trees! Never mind - I'll take the risk. Not much snow in Teddington at the moment anyway!

    Edited by John Bantin

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.