Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17mm in Aquatica 6-inch dome

Started by Simon Rogerson ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17mm in Aquatica 6-inch dome

22 posts
  1. Sorry to add to the swelling ranks of Tok questions but....

     

    I've found I can fully use my 10-17mm under an Aquatica 8-inch dome with no need for extension rings or the like. However, I just got my mitts on a 6-inch dome (I like the convenience of the more compact dome) and I wonder if someone can tell me how this will affect my use of the lens before I have to find out the hard way.

     

    Any advice from Aquatica experts would be much appreciated.

     

    SimonR

  2. ooooooo. i want to know that too.. for the 10.5. will be better for lighting cfwa for sure...

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  3. Simon/Mike, It works fine with the 6 inch dome, used this combo on quite a few dives without an extension and got some good shots out of it.

  4. Thanks Gary - that's really useful to know. I may try shooting with both to see if there is any difference, and will report back.

     

    SimonR

  5. Instead of starting a new thread I found this old one while searching on Google for any reviews or information on the Aquatica 6" dome used with the Tokina 10-17.

     

    I know Gary says it works fine, but can anyone please provide more details? I would prefer the compact 6" and the reduced cost is a bonus, but I would like to know the exact tradeoff if anyone can help :D

     

    I have searched but cannot find any images specifically with the 6" dome.

     

    Thanks

  6. This is my favourite combo for this lens in CFWA.

    The only time you might want a bigger port is if you doing under overs ( ala Lemon Snaps ).

  7. This is my favourite combo for this lens in CFWA.

    The only time you might want a bigger port is if you doing under overs ( ala Lemon Snaps ).

     

    Thanks for the quick reply.

     

    Between your comment and Gary's that seals it for me.

     

    Cheers

  8. 6" dome works great - I use it with Tokina 10-17 and Sigma 17-70.

     

    The attached photo was taken with the 10-17 and the 6" dome.

    post-3775-1254424310.jpg

  9. Very nice, thanks for the example.

  10. Have I read this correct in that people are saying the tok 10-17mm works well behind a 8" aquatica dome without an extension?

  11. I am sure you do not need an extension for the 8", and from Gary's comment above, it looks like you do not need an extension for the 6" dome as well.

    Edited by panglao
  12. I use a short extension - I believe it is the same one that Aquatica recommends for the 10-22.

  13. I use the extension with the 8" as listed on the Aquatica guide. This works fine, but if I can get away with no extension all the better.

     

    No extension would be appealing for some surf photography as it'll lock the dome in with the port lock, rather than just the extension. May be handy on deep dives too, less points of failure and the dome locked would be piece of mind.

    Edited by betti154
  14. The extension will improve corners when shooting wide aperture and is more significant on the 6" dome than on the wider radius 8" or 9.25", the trade of is the frontal footprint in the last two, here are a few shots. this one at 1/250 @ f/16

    post-1676-1254491298.jpg

    Edited by Viz'art
  15. one of fellow pixel member Felix Rodriguez in La Guaira, I was tempted to photoshop him out :D it was shot at 1/15 @ f/16

    post-1676-1254492595.jpg

  16. and a split shot with the 6" that demonstrate that it is not the ideal combo for split shots, mind you with a more recent cameras I could have hiked the ISO to muster the proper DOF.

    post-1676-1254492799.jpg

  17. thanks all.

  18. and a split shot with the 6" that demonstrate that it is not the ideal combo for split shots, mind you with a more recent cameras I could have hiked the ISO to muster the proper DOF.

     

    Thanks for posting the pics.

     

    Is that split shot in your "Coral Life" gallery without the diver and the reddish rocks on the bank in the background with a 6" or 8" dome?

     

    It is file coral_life-21.jpg

  19. Thats a 8'' dome, it was taken before we reintroduced the 6'' dome, its in Mochima, Venezuela

  20. Have never used an extension ring with my 10 -17mm and pic come out ok. All the u/w wide angle shots on my web site www.garlin-photography.com are done with one

     

     

    Regards

    Gary

    Edited by marinedomain
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.