Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus release new underwater housing

Started by greg_n ·

  • 44Posts
  • 44Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus release new underwater housing

44 posts
  1. What is the consensus of the 4/3 format? The sensor is physically smaller than other cameras, but there seems to be a logic around the technology. BUt I have to admit I like the aspect ratio of 35mm format/HD widescreen aspect ratio more than the 4/3 formats aspect ratio.

     

    I'm trying to determine a setup to freedive with - looking at the E520 or similar with a housing/domeport and as wide a lens as I can get for shooting freedivers, pelagics, etc while freediving. A friend/client has suggested the new Sea & Sea housing coming out for the Canon Xsi - I've been out of the loop on the stills end of things for quite some time and it seems as though these cameras change every 9 months and feel confused as to why when anything above 8MP is 35mm resolution - this info coming from a commercial shooter I know here locally.

     

    What's the difference? Any thoughts?

     

    Well the 4/3 standard has been out quite awhile. You can go here for more information www.fourthirdsphoto.com I could rave about the camera but it would just be an op-ed piece. Canon and Nikon make very competitive entry level cameras. As a freediver I think size would be your main concern. I could be wrong but I've only seen compact housings for Canon and Olympus. Olympus's OEM housing is rather compact and light. I've seen the xti in a small metal housing that got raves from those with small hands because the housing was very compact. Unfortunately I can't remember the manufacturer of that housing.

  2. Gary - Looking at buying the 14-42 port, the Olympus PPO-E05 v the Athena OPD-SZ 14-42 to go with my new E-520 and housing.

     

    The Athena blurb claims a much improved edge definition and I assume this is over the PPO-E05 is this true? I won't be doing a lot of wider stuff and mainly I will be using the 50mm macro but for the extra it might be worthwhile to get a sharper edge to my pictures?

     

    regards

     

    Ardy

  3. Just a quick note to say that the housing and strobe are now listed on a Swedish retailer site. It's priced at €1000 for the housing alone and €1300 for housing + 14-42 port. The strobe sells for €570.

     

    I've sent them a question regarding availability and hope to be able to get all of it late August for pool testing and then some real dives in September.

     

     

    Did you end up getting this and testing it (here) in Sweden? Vendor did you buy it from?

     

    Cheers

    Oskar

  4. Certainly test it in the pool. The leak is very slow so if you aim the port down, you'll have no issues with destroying the camera if a leak occurs. BTW, my leak also occurred with no camera in the housing so that's the first thing I would do before inserting the camera. Go onto www.digitaldiver.net and read about it there. There's a 4 page thread over there with the proper documentation links. I followed RogerC's lead in filling out the form and I included all the information I had including the mpeg.

     

     

    Hi,

    From the sounds of it i am haveing an identical problem with a new (yet model below) PT-E02, 3 trys and 3 leaks, no bubbels, always when i am in the shallows testing gear before my dive after all tests are complete, i then notice a small ammount of water inside the housing (aprox a teaspoon to a tablespoon) depending on how quickly i see it!

    i checked out the info on Digitaldiver and am now off home to try to film cleanig the case, sealing showing dry inside then testing in a tub, if it leaks again as usual i will send this off to Olympus and see what they say.

    I puchased this system 12 months ago for my E330 and have only just got it in the water due to issues with having been supplied faulty TTL cabels, finally i go to dive with all strobes firing and the dam thing leaks! :)

     

    I am tad over it all but i am sure olympus will try to help me work this one out, at least i hope.

     

    Has anyone else heard of the same problem with the PT-E02 as well as the PT-E03?

     

    REGARDS,

     

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.