Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Fisheye distortion correction for Tokina 10-17 files

Started by underwatercolours ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Fisheye distortion correction for Tokina 10-17 files

5 posts
  1. I just got back from a month long trip to Socorro, Chuuk & Kosrae and took tons of pics with the Tokina 10-17 lens. I did discover that the Nikon Capture software doesn't recognize my raw files as being compatible for fisheye correction. I used several other programs years ago, but does anyone know of software that will do fisheye correction on these non-Nikon lens raw files? Or even on a tiff file if I can't find one for RAW.

     

    Never mind... I just found this thread from years ago: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4128&hl.

     

    Any first hand experience with more current options would be much appreciated.

    Edited by underwatercolours
  2. If your on Mac you can use LensFix which is a standalone application or a CS3 plugin available here. Apparently they've just released it as an Aperture plugin as well (today). It comes with a database of lens calibration coefficients. It tends to be a little technical though. It has a 15 day trial period so you can figure out if it works for you.

    If your on a Wintel then PTLens is available. I think that it is essentially the same thing as LensFix except for windows.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Mike

  3. I just got back from a month long trip to Socorro, Chuuk & Kosrae and took tons of pics with the Tokina 10-17 lens. I did discover that the Nikon Capture software doesn't recognize my raw files as being compatible for fisheye correction.

     

    Hi Bonnie,

     

    That's a shame that NX isn't able to de-fish the images from your Tokina 10-17. I have both the 10.5 and the 16 and have used Capture NX to successfully de-fish a number of topside images taken with those lenses.

     

    I've thought about getting a Tokina 10-17 to add to my lens arsenal, but not sure if it would be necessary since I already own the 10.5 and the 16. I'd be curious to know how you're liking the Tokina.

     

    Good luck in your search for a successful de-fisher :huh:

     

    See you in about 2 1/2 weeks!

     

    Ellen

    Edited by ornate_wrasse
  4. I think DxO supports this Tokina too.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.