To start it was a very very bad day with a big swell and the vis was <1 meter and why we jumped in I will never know? I guess we love diving and the chance to meet humpbacks. As background our planned 50 meter wreck dive was cancelled and we were all so keen we agreed to do a shallow bay dive. It was our clubs deep diving weekend away at terrigal NSW. The other guys had twins and it looked over equipped.
Has anyone flooded a D300 yet ? I am getting my salt encrusted DEAD DEAD DEAD D300 and 1224 back from Nikon. I may to sell them on ebay so watchout for any salty bargains!
Maybe I got to 50cm deep and in 50 seconds or was it 30cm deep and only 30 seconds. It was under 1 minute according to the captain.
As soon as I submerged the housing, I waited for the bubbles to clear. Only they did not this time. I have a recurring nightmare of a stream of small bubbles coming from across the top joint formed where the back plate meets the main body of the housing. At this point time slowed down real slow. I immediately cursed numerous profanities underwater. Maybe I took 0.00001 seconds to turn the dome face down and then spent < 1 second to raise the housing dome down ( FULL FULL FULL ) out of the water.
More background. The housing just had a full service and front aperture wheel replaced. One test dive no camera no leak. Presumed all ok, but ?
The captain a diver and photographer pulled apart camera housing with me. LATCHES LOCKED. NO HAIRS OR ANY CRAP ON MAIN ORING. Later back at dive shop, got statement for insurance from captain. Gazed at housing and camera and most importantly got drunk that night.
The housing has been shipped back to the subal dealer and so far no fault found, which is a big worry!!!
I have some ideas and am interested if anyones seen that STREAM of bubbles ACROSS THE TOP of the entire backplate crack before on a subal or any housing ???