Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Gone DSLR with the Canon 10D at last!

Started by Andi Voeltz ·

  • 46Posts
  • 46Replies

Read-only discussion

Gone DSLR with the Canon 10D at last!

46 posts
  1. I'd second James' suggestion on the Ansmann chargers [..] Also recommend the Ansmann batteries...

    Hi Stu,

     

    funny - when we needed a charger for AA cells only, we were also considering the Ansmann charger,

    but it clearly was beaten by the GP Powerbank. Also GP baterries have proven to be very reliable. So

    we stopped using the FRIWO labeled ones coming with Nikon Cameras. I can understand if you also

    want to charge C-Cells and other, but all our digital euqipment uses AA cells or baby AA cells, which

    reloads 4 batteries within 60 minutes. As far as I remember the Ansmann charger was more expensive

    (GP Set is 69 EUR, with 4 bats and 12V car connector) and a lot slower. I know no other charger which

    will recharge your batteries within one surface intervall. Can you update me on this?

  2. Charging batteries that fast is something you do when you need to. It makes much more sense with AA's to charge slower and take more sets. A set of AA batteries is inexpensive, lightweight, and provides redundancy on a trip. By charging slower, you get a better charge, longer life, and greater odds that the cells will be cool when they are used. Heat is the mortal enemy of rechargable batteries and requiring a 60 minute charge is the best way to encourage a failure. Putting a battery on charge while it is hot is also a bad thing to do. Multiple sets means that you can let a set rest when necessary.

     

    I like the Maha chargers since they work and are very small/lightweight and I use the 401 since it charges each cell individually. Taking multiple small chargers is better than one huge one since a failure doesn't take you out. Olympus makes a nice, compact charger that has a universal supply built-in and charges cells individually.

  3. Taking multiple small chargers is better than one huge one since a failure doesn't take you out.

    Hmmmm... that's a good point, about multiple chargers.

     

    For those of you shooting 10Ds or D100s, have you found that you must manually set your strobes down to a much lower poiwer setting?

     

    I am curious because with the loss of TTL and the forced transition back to manually setting the strobe, I am both anxious and excited about where that might lead.

  4. I use the D100 with two moderate power strobes (Inon Z220). For macro I use the -.5 diffusers supplied and and almost always operate the strobes at full power. When I used the 90DX's my experience was similar. Generally I adjust aperture/strobe position to get the exposure right and leave the strobe power alone.

     

    Having never used TTL strobe control I may not know what I'm missing, but my experience is that it's the least of my worries. You get to see right away whether you're getting it right.

  5. Hi Andi,

     

    I used to have GP chargers as well...yes they do charge faster but they also create a lot of heat. I prefer the fact that the Ansmanns charge and evaluate each cell, this way you're getting the max charge into them, a pack charger doesn't do this...it charges to the capacity of the weakest cell. While the Ansmanns may cost more, they also pack better as they're universal voltage and don't require a "Dongle" ac/dc adapter...

     

    Why would you have a need to charge between surface intervals? I simply have 2 sets of cells on rotation.

     

    Stu

  6. Why would you have a need to charge between surface intervals?  I simply have 2 sets of cells on rotation.

    Hi Stu, depening where in the world you are, time can be a critical factor when charging stuff. I used to spend some time offshore diving from the desert. In that case generator time was limited. The staff always was very thankful if my charging problems solved within 60 minutes.

     

    But anyway, thank you for the information. I might take another look at the Ansmann charger. So far we are very well with two GP battery chargers, charging 4 bats each.

     

    Best regards, Andi

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.