Now after a lot of version of my work I can't judge the final results anymore can you give me your opinions?
Thank you
Andrea Giannozzi
Your new image definitely looks better! Having said that, it definitely looks either manipulated in Photoshop or shot with a filter and white-balanced.
Did you actually construct a red channel like Robert does in his tutorial? I'd assume you would have had to in order to get an image without a super-noise red channel.
Or, if you have the original images in RAW, it might be possible to white-balance your way to a similar photo.
Your new image definitely looks better! Having said that, it definitely looks either manipulated in Photoshop or shot with a filter and white-balanced.
Did you actually construct a red channel like Robert does in his tutorial? I'd assume you would have had to in order to get an image without a super-noise red channel.
Or, if you have the original images in RAW, it might be possible to white-balance your way to a similar photo.
Yes I reconstructed the red channel, it was some red information on it and maybe I hover corrected blending in normal way.
I have also the raw version but maybe I have a lot to study cos I am unable to recover to much there
this is a version in which I corrected the white balance first in raw image and played a bit with denoise
Unfortunatly I forgot to reset the settings of the camera and the iso was at 800!! :-(
thank you for your replay
Andrea
It looks really good to me. What were the steps you used?
I like the first example better than the second. The turtle looks a little green in the second one to me. In the first, the yellow colors on the diver are pretty good but the subjects could be a bit more saturated IMO. Of course, web images can be deceiving.
I think the water could use some selective improvement. I'd try to reduce the milky look that it has after adjustment and possibly play with the hue a little bit. I think it's very good though.
Hi Andrea,
I could tell by the file data that you are using a Nikon D80. This camera does have the ability to save your files in RAW format. Your chances of bringing back a great color image from one that is too blue is much, much greater in RAW. This kind of correction could be done in a matter of seconds compared to the steps it takes to do this with a jpg file.
This topic sparked my interest because I'm currently working on a mini-tutorial on how to do that in RAW for my upcoming workshop. I'm happy to share that with you if you're interested.
Bonnie
I am with Craig, the first image looks best to me.
Whatever you did there had a more subtle correction. The colours look better. And like Eric said it is done in a way that you could almost claim was done in camera with a filter and white balance. So congrats on some great photoshop work. I am sure it wasn't a simple task !
I'm currently working on a mini-tutorial on how to do that in RAW for my upcoming workshop. I'm happy to share that with you if you're interested.
Hi Bonnie
I am shooting in raw + jpeg normal , and I tried several attempt to recover the color in camera raw only but I obtained the best results (IMHO) reconstructing the red channel in photoshop.
wow. thanks Andrea. That is a great article. I never really explored the articles here. I guess I should.
I think the quality of the edits are very good, but I would look at some other photos of Green Turtles and see if I could mask the green back into the required areas on the turtle, as it is the turtle looks too mono colour brown to me.
I like the first brown turtle better than the second gold turtle, as the gold look more unnatural. Though its cool looking from an artistic point of view.
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, as a total noob to UW Photography and photo editing, I found it invaluable. I started messing around with my Lightroom 2 when I read this. Here is a quick result. This shot was taken on my 3rd dive with my first UW Camera. A DX-1G w/YS-110 strobe (which wasn't powered up for this shot.....ooops), and WA lens, at 80'. Any comments or constructive criticism is most welcome.