Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon G9 M67 Adapter from old Inon Mount Base

Started by marcos ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon G9 M67 Adapter from old Inon Mount Base

7 posts
  1. Fellow G9 enthousiasts,

     

    As i was struggling with the same problem as probably many people, how to fit M67 lenses to my G9 in WP-DC21 housing.

    Don't really like the available adapter ring that can be screwed on to the plastic lensport, neither want to unscrew or screw-up my housing..

     

    Had a Inon mount base for the WP-DC20 lying around which was modified for a Canon A620 in WP-DC90 housing. This mount base fitted right away on the underside of the G9's WP-DC21.

    I decided to start cutting and grinding the front of the adapter to make it fit over the larger lensport of the WP-DC21 housing. The result is shown in the following pictures.

     

    wetpixel001.jpg

     

    wetpixel002.jpg

     

    wetpixel003.jpg

     

    The fit is pretty neat and sturdy, no force from the lenses is transfered directly to the housing or it's port like in other solutions.

     

    Auto focus works fine, just have to zoom in a bit to lose the vignetting at the corners.

    Planning to get 2 more close-up lenses to stack and be able to take pictures with macro object in full frame.

     

    This Pygmy Seahorse was photographed with G9 in WP-DC21, modified adapter and UCL165 lens:

     

    wetpixel004.jpg

     

    Hope this can be helpfull.

     

    Marco

     

    --------

    Canon Powershot G9, WP-DC21, Inon D2000w with DIY diffuser, Inon UCL165 macro - My G9 Photo's On Flickr

    www.scubadivebali.com

  2. Nice work Marco. I like the the way you have extended the old base to fit. It makes it quick to fit the lenses using the bayonet fittings.

    There is a bit of downside for me, the adapter is bigger than my stepping ring method, since you have some vignetting at wide angle and there is some blocking over the top of the port if you were using just the internal flash (as I do) which means that some of the light is reduced and the diffuser can't be fitted. Though this would not be a problem for anyone using an external strobe (as most people do). I'm sure that if Inon saw these solutions that they would be able to make a very simple retro fit mount base.

    Edited by BrianM
  3. Hello Brian,

     

    Agreed that your solution with the step down ring is a nice way to be able to fit M67 lenses on the WP-DC21. When you don't have an old mountbase and have to buy one new, my project is bit more "expensive" also i assume.

     

    That Inon is not making a mountbase for the G9 housing will make many people go for the triple priced Ikelite housing. The G9 is one of the most popular compacts for use underwater at the moment i think and more people would buy Inon lenses when they already have a mountbase fitted from same producer.

     

    Understand Inon as well though, because their core business is strobes, lenses and universal accessories. It is diffecult to keep up with the ever changing market of compact camera's which needs special department for development alone.

     

    As i'm using a strobe with my housing and have no diffuser attached anymore, it was no problem for me to have the modified adapter covering the lensport. Many people have strobe(s) and maybe my solution can help some who can find an old mountbase..

     

    Marco

     

    --------

    Canon Powershot G9, WP-DC21, Inon D2000w with DIY diffuser, Inon UCL165 macro - My G9 Photo's On Flickr

    www.scubadivebali.com

  4. Its a little off topic here but as we are discussing a modification to the OEM housing I hope you don't mind.

     

    I recently heard from Yuzo Kanda that the OEM G9 housing has been discontinued and that Canon Japan only had two available! Here in the UK, Cameras Underweater do not have stock.

  5. Marcos, I agree with you and think your solution is better than mine if an external strobe is used

     

    Its a little off topic here but as we are discussing a modification to the OEM housing I hope you don't mind.

     

    I recently heard from Yuzo Kanda that the OEM G9 housing has been discontinued and that Canon Japan only had two available! Here in the UK, Cameras Underweater do not have stock.

     

    Yes, I had heard that production of the WP-DC21 for the G9 had stopped. Maybe they are ready to launch the G10. Even so, if they use a similar housing body, like they did when they went from the WP-DC11 (for G7) to the WP-DC21 (for G9), then the problem of fitting add on lenses is exactly the same. If Inon had introduced a kit / adapter for the G7 housing, then the same kit could have been used on the G9 housing and who knows maybe even the G10. Even my lo-tech solution of a ring and 4 screws would have helped Inon sell more lenses, since there are quite a few G7 & G9 users that I know, who can't afford the more expensive Ikelite or Patima housings.

  6. Hi,

     

    I have just been onto a website in Malasia scubasymphony.com and they do an adapter that fits to the port on the canon uw housing for the G series. The adapter is made by DYRON and allows lenses with a 67mm thread to be attached. I have yet to buy one as the shipping cost bizzarely was about $50USD! I am trying to find one in the UK, has anyone heard of this, is it any good and if so where can I get one from?

  7. Hi,

     

    I have just been onto a website in Malasia scubasymphony.com and they do an adapter that fits to the port on the canon uw housing for the G series. The adapter is made by DYRON and allows lenses with a 67mm thread to be attached. I have yet to buy one as the shipping cost bizzarely was about $50USD! I am trying to find one in the UK, has anyone heard of this, is it any good and if so where can I get one from?

     

     

     

    is that the derlin with an attachment screw at the bottom? i've used one on the G9 before, works great but i do recall it vignettes a bit, more so on the g10/11 due to the wider 28mm lens. bought mine from uwdigitalcamera.com but they don't list it anymore.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.