Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Nautilus baiting and other ethical thoughts

Started by Marjo ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Nautilus baiting and other ethical thoughts

26 posts
  1. OK, I had stated in my earlier response that a nautilus around PNG was first seen about 15 years ago. I'm not sure where I read it originally but I did find a source which may back me up. Thought I had dreamed it there for a while. Here is a picture taken from the Bryn Mawr College web site http://www.brynmawr.edu/geology/WBSaunders/Research4.html

    post-4526-1218408845.jpg

    "Nautilus pompilius (left) and Allonautilus scrobiculatus (right) trapped at 270m depth in Papua New Guinea and photographed in shallow water. The thick, yellowish periostracum on the shell of Allonautilus is unique to this species, which was seen alive for the first time in 1984." Copyright W.B. Saunders.

     

    OK so I was off by 14 years, time flys when your having fun. :drink: I'm on dangerous ground here, but it looks like there are six species of Nautilus left. You folks with a penchant for the biological can back me up here or give me a better place to go look.

    I started to say that this proves I'm not crazy.... but then I reconsidered.

    Have fun,

    Steve

  2. Fascinating, I had no idea this was so widespread. Always thought of nautilus as a forgotten species, nobody cared much about them except science. I'm envisioning this all wrong I guess, these sound like pretty steep dropoffs (300m, 500m) but they are still associated with the reef? Where does the reef "end"? I need to find myself some ROV footage!

     

    As for captive specimens, we always fed them dead shrimp, squid or large krill. They seemed to love that large krill, which is why I always thought of them as a midwater type of animal. I also remember feeding them live pinead shrimp, but maybe those were skewered prior to feeding. Midwater animals aren't always "fast" :-) (jellies&other drifters) And as for reproduction in captivity, I believe only Waikiki Aquarium and maybe an aquarium in Japan has had success with that. Pretty sure the animals we used to have here at Monterey were all from Waikiki.

     

    Also surprised to see they are a "big" aquarium trade item, I know of a handful of aquariums still keeping them. I also monitor the major wholesaler stocklists... nautilus seems to be a request item, not something constantly kept in stock. Seems like most aquariums have stopped exhibiting them due to the lack of captive bred animals.

     

    I always love hearing these trip reports for precisely this reason... a lot of things goin' on out there I didn't know about...

     

    Cheers,

    Wyatt

     

    Drew,

     

    Undersea release them on the night dive at Admiralty Anchor which is in the vicinity of where there were trapped - albeit significantly shallower. The traps are lowered to anywhere between 100 and 300m (around 300m of line is let out) and the traps are basically on the reef. The area may not have corals, but it is still reef. I know Undersea lose their traps from time to time when they get snagged on the reef.

     

    The recapture thing works both ways. There is an accepted method of estimating populations of animals through capture, tag, release and recapture. Let's say you capture 100 animals, tag them and release them. You then set your traps and capture another 100 animals of which say 10 animals were tagged. If certain other assumptions are met, you can estimate the population at 1,000 animals.

     

    In reality it is more complex than that and there are a lot of assumptions that need to be made, but not recapturing all previously captured animals does not necessarily imply mortality of those not recaptured. It can mean that population is very large. It can mean that some individuals learn to avoid traps. It may also mean that at least some of the animals migrate horizontally as well as vertically. i.e. they move to a different are of the reef over time.

     

    Wyatt,

     

    They are largely scavengers rather than predators. They normally live in waters around 500m and have a vertical migration at night to shallower water, but they are still in fairly deep water (by diving standards) at night. It is believe they hunt around the deeper reef areas looking for animals that have died and fallen down the reef slope. They find their food mainly by smell (it is dark down there at night). I'm sure you would have seen this behaviour in your captive specimens. As they are fairly slow, I doubt they'd be particularly successful at catching midwater prey, plus they don't have feeding tentacles like those found in squid and cuttlefish which are needed for capture of fast prey.

  3. Osprey Reef (where Undersea capture and release Nautilus) is out in the Coral Sea, past the continental shelf and is basically a sea mount. The water drops off to at least 1,000m not very far out from the reef. At North Horn and Admiralty Anchor it appears to be a near vertical wall disappearing into the abyss. That's one of the reasons Osprey is good for pelagic species as it is like an oasis.

  4. Say what? If they don't live on reefs, exactly where (in your opinion) do they live? (Note: I did my honours on cephalopods.)

    OK OK, I'll rephrase this! They are not found on shallow reefs where divers ever see them alive. Is this better?

  5. Actually funnily enough, a long time back in 2000 or 2001, paper nautilus actually appeared in very shallow water off a beach near Melbourne in broad daylight. They were dying but there was a showing.

     

    As for creatures of the deep, well Mars seems to garner most importance than studying our own planet, much less protecting it for longevity's sake.

  6. Actually funnily enough, a long time back in 2000 or 2001, paper nautilus actually appeared in very shallow water off a beach near Melbourne in broad daylight. They were dying but there was a showing.

    Argonauts (paper nautilus) are actually octopus and the shell is produced by females only as a floating brood chamber for her eggs. The normally live in open surface waters. Appearing in shallow water is not a surprise but so many close to shore would be.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.