Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

The last idiot has not been born yet

Started by Lasse ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

The last idiot has not been born yet

23 posts
  1. Sure, let's punish them all by increasing their hit count and therefore popularity metric for any future searches by impressionable new divers or youngsters. Way to go.

     

    Sorry Drew, not really intending to beat on you personally...but idiots abound, we all know it, and I really don't care to see anymore of it. Fortunately "NOscript" is just showing me the frames and I just did a hover to find out those were Youtube links. :chatterbox:

  2. When I was a kid, we used to eat in a restaurant with "puffer" lamps. Inflated fish with light bulbs inside. I don't know how old I was before I started to realize how gross that was.

  3. When I was a kid, we used to eat in a restaurant with "puffer" lamps. Inflated fish with light bulbs inside. I don't know how old I was before I started to realize how gross that was.

    Hi

     

    OK deep dark secret time - I have (to my shame) got one of these lamps.

    12 years ago just after I certified, I went to Cuba diving, and there they where selling these puffer lamps. At the time I thought they were cool and bought one. Over the years I realised that actually it wasn't cool, but quite gross and environmentally scary, so now it is consigned to the back of the garage.

    It just shows how impressionable new divers are; my Cuban DM told me they were OK, so I bought one. We have to be very careful how we talk and act around new divers. PADI talks about 'appropriate role modeling' when training DM's, but gives little guidance as to what this really means, so our conscience must guide us. I know better now and teach accordingly

     

    Cheers

     

    Hal

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.