Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Hurricane Ike

Started by Rocha ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Hurricane Ike

23 posts
  1. As some of you know, I have just moved to South Texas (Corpus Christi area) to work at the University of Texas Marine Science Institute. I've been here for just a few weeks, with no reliable internet yet, and still working on getting a house, that's why I haven't been contributing a lot to the forums.

     

    Anyways, I just had to evacuate due to hurricane Ike and I am in Austin at the moment with family. Fortunately, it will not be a direct hit to Port Aransas as predicted before, but unfortunately it will hit an area with a lot more people, the Galveston/Houston area. I wish that everybody in the area gets away safely, that goes for you too James, give us an update when you can!

     

    Cheers,

     

    Luiz

  2. Hi Luiz and everyone,

     

    Sarah, Henry, my Mom, and I are staying home. We boarded up the windows this morning and have plenty of water and flashlights. We will almost certainly lose power so I won't be able to give y'all an update, except maybe by text message.

     

    We are probably going to get 100mph winds here. I'm most worried about the large old trees around my house. We'll see - they've been through others.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hey Guys

     

    Be safe....

  4. Hey Everybody,

    We are in Clear Lake, which is just south of Houston. We are sheltered in place and are hoping for the best.

     

    It should be a very interesting evening.

     

    The entire Galveston area is already in bad shape and the storm has even hit yet.

  5. Joe: what are you doing there? I thought you were supposed to leave?

     

    All the best!

     

    James

  6. Hey James,

    We are actually just at the edge of the "evacuation area". It's definitely going to be a long night.

    Most of our neighbors are also here. radios between us for communications and about 5 different plans for if anyone's house is damaged badly.

  7. Holy crap... Hope it all goes well...

     

    Keep us updated

     

    Dive safe...In this case, Stay safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Hi Luiz and everyone,

     

    Sarah, Henry, my Mom, and I are staying home.

     

    Some serious prayers are headed your way guys. Keep you heads down.

    Steve

  9. Be safe.

    People never understand how wild these things can be.

    We had 200 mph winds with VANCE in 1999.

    Edited by wagsy
  10. Well, it's 9:30 here and so far we are doing very well. Very little rain, but the wind is getting quite strong.

     

    I am somewhat surprised that we still have power, but hey....I'm not complaining.

  11. Be safe

  12. Ike update!

    Well, it's 4:22 a.m., our power is out, we are literally in the eye of the storm and I just spent an hour and a half outside clearing the neighborhood storm drains.

    Went outside while the eye was over us and our street was flooded and a huge tree in our front yard has definitely seen it's better days.

    All the limbs and leaves from the trees around the neighborhood had blocked the drains so we were all out with rakes clearing them out. It worked very well, we have no standing water now!!! Fingers crossed that it stays thay way.

     

    I brought a couple of UPS units home from the office to power my laptop and a few other necessities, which is how I am able to post this.

     

    Thank goodnes for AT&T wireless network.

     

    I'll post again after the second half of the storm

  13. Hope everyone is doing ok. Crossing fingers..

  14. Ike has really done a doosy on a lot of places ...

     

    I hope you all got through the other side ok !

     

    having been there done that I wouldn't want anyone to have to deal with it !

  15. Joe, hope you and your family, friends, and property are all safe and sound.

     

    Pat

  16. Hi Everyone,

     

    Our family is OK and our house didn't suffer any damage. We had a LOT of trees down - we have a pile of branches 20' x 5' x 5' out in the front yard. Of course our power is out, but we are at a friends that has power. Hope all other Houstonites are OK.

     

    Cheers

    James

  17. Hi Everyone,

     

    Our family is OK and our house didn't suffer any damage. We had a LOT of trees down - we have a pile of branches 20' x 5' x 5' out in the front yard. Of course our power is out, but we are at a friends that has power. Hope all other Houstonites are OK.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    James, glad to everything is in pretty good shape considering

  18. Good news; hope things get back to normal ASAP!

  19. Any news from Joe??? Fingers crossed for everyone.

  20. Any news from Joe??? Fingers crossed for everyone.

     

    Hey Everybody,

    Well, first off, we are all safe and sound. We had a huge amount of tree damage, but our house is in good shape.

    I have attached a picture with some before and after shots.

     

    ..post-5527-1221526805.jpg..

     

    That was not something I ever care to go through again. Galveston and many other places did not get through this nearly as well as we have.

     

    Our power was turned back on this afternoon, so now we are just cleaning up. Our prayers go out to everyone down here that is still being affect much harder than we are.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.