Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Fathoms RIP?

Started by MikeO ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Fathoms RIP?

13 posts
  1. So, saw a post on another forum that Fathoms has ceased publication and, the staff seem to be writing for "Diving Adventure Magazine", and the trips seem to be centered there now. Apparently the new magazine is affiliated with SDI, TDI, etc. Hmmm, if memory serves, I'd renewed not too long back. Anyone know the scoop?

  2. So, saw a post on another forum that Fathoms has ceased publication and, the staff seem to be writing for "Diving Adventure Magazine", and the trips seem to be centered there now. Apparently the new magazine is affiliated with SDI, TDI, etc. Hmmm, if memory serves, I'd renewed not too long back. Anyone know the scoop?

     

     

    Mike, there was a thread about this here and whether they were continuing or not.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25192

     

    Sounds like it maybe over though it was said they were still around...?

  3. Mike, there was a thread about this here and whether they were continuing or not.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25192

     

    Sounds like it maybe over though it was said they were still around...?

     

    Thanks for the link. Given that they are all on the editorial board of another relatively new magazine and are advertising their trips there, I would be surprised to see another issue of Fathoms. Ironic in that I think I got my Fathoms subscription when Oceans Illustrated went under. At least the Oceans Illustrated people sent me a note saying they had ceased production and transfered my subscription somewhere else. Perhaps they saw the writing on the wall sooner . . .

  4. I just looked at their website, and the "subscribe" site is not available. Perhaps it is just a web page problem.

    I just remember how well I was informed when Ocean Realm closed shop. Issues not sent out on the regular schedule, and then none at all......

  5. Dang - I got a subscription as a present in May 2008. Only got one eddition (which was excellent), and I was looking forward to the next. It would be nice if they could let subscribers know if they have gone bust.

    Edited by Stephen Colquitt
  6. It really sucks if they couldn't even send a notice! What is the real story here? I am hesitating to subscribe to any more divephoto magazines spawned from the folding of yet another mismanaged magazine.

     

    Fortunately we still have our gorgous glossy wetpixel quarterly to look forward to! Hands down the the best "magazine" (itr more then a magazine)available on the market!

  7. It really sucks if they couldn't even send a notice! What is the real story here? I am hesitating to subscribe to any more divephoto magazines spawned from the folding of yet another mismanaged magazine.

     

    Fortunately we still have our gorgous glossy wetpixel quarterly to look forward to! Hands down the the best "magazine" (itr more then a magazine)available on the market!

     

    While the subscribe link is broken, the renew link still works, so if you have a subscription I guess you can send them more money.

  8. Got this on the weekend

     

    Dear Fathoms Subscriber account number: xxxxxxx

     

    Fathoms Magazine has gone out of business. I've attached a letter from the publisher, David Fishman, which explains his decision,

     

    When David told me he would have to stop publishing, I volunteered to replace the issues due Fathoms' subscribers with on Online Membership to Undercurrent.

     

    For every issue left remaining on your subscription to Fathoms, you'll have one month's access to Undercurrent online, with a minimum term of 5 months. On the first days of every month, the issue for that month becomes available. All you need to do is sign in to read it.

     

    You will have to more than 10 years of back issues and Chapbooks, a compendium of reader reports. You can file travel reports on our website for other subscribers to read and your report will be printed in our annual Chapbook. You have access to emailing those subscribers who file reports so you can ask them any question you want about their experience or garner tips about the destination they reported on

     

    You can also join other Undercurrent Subscribers in our divers' forum, where our readers, the most serious and experienced divers on our planet, share their questions and answers.

     

    Go to www.undercurrent.org/subscribers/UCnow/FathomSignup.php to activate your online membership. Identify yourself (your Fathoms account number is xxxxx). Choose a username and password, or, if you are already an Undercurrent Online Member and already have one, it will extend your existing membership.

     

    We hope you enjoy your subscription to Undercurrent and look forward to your reports and comments.

     

    Sincerely

     

    Ben Davison

    Publisher

     

    Letter Attached

    ASCENTIA GROUP, INC, PUBLISHER OF FATHOMS MAGAZINE

    SUSPENDS OPERATIONS

    October, 2008

    Ascentia Group, Inc., publisher of Fathoms Magazine, announced that it has suspended

    operations.

    The company has faced a "perfect storm" of difficult market conditions, rapidly rising

    paper, production and distribution costs, along with management health issues which

    disrupted the publication schedule and future viability of the magazine.

     

    Ascentia is pleased to announce to current subscribers of Fathoms Magazine that they

    will not be left without a premium publication despite the dissolution of the company.

    Fathoms has reached an agreement with the non-profit publisher of Undercurrent to

    provide an equal number of issues of their high-quality premium newsletter

    Undercurrent to fulfill the unfulfilled issues of Fathoms remaining on the Fathoms

    subscriber files.

     

    If you are already a subscriber to Undercurrent, your subscription term will be extended

    by the number of issues you had remaining on your Fathoms account.

    The mechanics of this program are detailed in the letter from the publisher of

    Undercurrent which is also enclosed in this mailing.

     

    The editors and publisher of Fathoms sincerely appreciate your support since our

    inception. We had strived to produce the highest quality magazine about the underwater

    world but faced insurmountable obstacles in the recent year.

     

    We are confident that you will enjoy Undercurrent and find it the most useful and

    unbiased resource about the diving industry and dive travel.

    Edited by Stephen Colquitt
  9. The same announcements were awaiting me when I got home yesterday.

     

    That explains the mystery of why Undercurrents had been delivered the week before.

     

    Mark

  10. At least we got something.

  11. I just got a letter today for a subscription to Diving Adventure magazine. Anyone have any experience with this mag. I only got one issue of Fathoms before they went to Davy Jones' locker. Is this the same operation with a new name? I liked their product, buy am a little wary now.

     

    BTW, can't wait for my next WPQ!!

  12. I would like to say that I just got a full refund from Fathoms Magazine that showed up on my statement this month (Mar 09)! Wow, I'm surprised and impressed. I hadn't received any issues on that subscription and had been promised a refund a long time ago, but it never happened - till now.

     

    Thanks Fathoms, I'm impressed and it makes me feel a lot better. Of course I'd be happier if Fathoms was still publishing; but I really do appreciate you doing what you said you would do - despite obvious business problems.

     

    Thanks So Much, Carol

  13. As a long-time subscriber to Fathoms, (I have every issue) I hated to see the sale awhile back because I had a feeling it would be a downhill slide after that. I did receive a free subscription from Undercurrent to make up for its demise; however, I'm not sure I see the value in Undercurrent unless you travel A LOT, since it is pretty pricey, but granted, there is resort and travel info I've not seen elsewhere, so I'm kinda torn about renewing when my free subscription is up.

     

    I saw Dive Adventure mag and subscribed to that, since it seems to be similar to the old original Fathoms w/Bret Gilliam. Its a pretty good pub.

    Edited by kitty
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.