Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Pinnacle wetsuits

Started by m.eppoliti ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Pinnacle wetsuits

33 posts
  1. I'm resurrecting this thread.

     

    I just purchased 3mm and 5mm Elastiprene Merino Pinnacle wetsuits as well as a 3mm Bare Velocity. The Bare fits PERFECTLY on me, but the Pinnacles are a bit hard to get into. They FIT... but they are not as comfortable a fit as is the Bare.

     

    My question is -- do the Pinnacles stretch at all over time? It is so close to a good fit. Just a tiny bit too snug. I don't think I can go a size up -- it is close.

     

    I'm thinking of keeping all three, though. The Bare doesn't look like it will be as warm as the Pinnacle is sure to be; I can use it on surface snorkeling trips in warm water.

  2. Send it back Eric. Pinnacle is made in China and their sizing is hokey and unreliable. Once they stretch out, they lose thermal properties.

    Re-Order with the custom tailoring. They charge about $50 for adjusting the length of arms and legs, but the best part is they take your measurements and find a suit in their stock to fit those measurements closest. I tried off the rack Pinnacles but the QC is like Sigma lenses. The tolerances aren't that good. Legs too short on one and arms too short on another.

    I have the same models as you and they both have shrunk because I leave them in Indo and forgot to put a weight on the bottom to stretch it out. I'm going back to custom suits when I have to get new ones. Materials may not be as flash but at least they fit properly.

  3. Thanks, Drew. Where can I get custom tailoring? Do I have to walk in somewhere? Or can I just send in my measurements?

     

    The arms and legs are actually OK on my suits. It's just that they seem more bulky than other suits do (especially the 5mm). I have, however, had other 5mm suits feel really bulky before I took them down to depth. Just wondering if others have perfect fits, or if they are supposed to be a little bulky.

     

    I'm used to Body Glove surf suits. They aren't that easy to get into with the short zipper, but they fit really well once they're on and are easy to move around in.

  4. You have to get your dealer to contact Pinnacle direct. Takes about 3-4 weeks. I did this before Zeagle took over so it may be more expensive now.

    All said, the merino is warm but if the fit is off, it doesn't matter. When I first bought their 5mm, they told me they were modeled for the tall, slimmer people. I'm avg height 5'11 and slim with broadish shoulders but they don't fit me off the rack. I remember the first round I had a 5mm that had short legs and longer torso and the 3mm had longer legs and shorter torso. Then the appendage measurements were off 2nd round. Finally went custom and still have to deal with a waist that is too large. 30 waist and 40 chest is not in their sizing chart :(

    I do find the Pinnacles harder to get into than other wetsuits due to the tight fit. I think their problem is size tolerance is pretty off as my examples (4 wetsuits) all came with different lengths for different appendages, even though they are the same size. The good news is they have a good service dept which will field a lot of the issues.

  5. I concur with Drew that Pinnacle’s sizing is a bit off. For the past 11 years I have mostly used standard medium size O’neill, Body Glove and Henderson wetsuits as my body weight is still the same as it was then. Recently I switched to Pinnacle’s 5mm with the Merino lining to replace my O’neill 7mm. Their medium was definitely too small, so I had to go to a medium large which fits perfectly like my medium size O’neill 3 and 4/5mm suits. And yes, it does feel a little stiffer than my other wetsuits. Henderson takes to lead in being the softest, which is not always the best thing. One added bonus, the Merino lining is not a gimmick as previously thought, that 5mm is every bit as warm as my previous 7mm suit. As for custom sizing/alterations I would contact either a Zeagle dealer near you of Zeagle directly – 813-469-9481.

  6. Pinnacle's sizing is off on their stretchy suits. I had an older non-stretchy Pinnacle that fit like a glove; the same size/thickness suit in the Elastoprene line (same measurements in the size charts, and my measurements haven't changed) has a huge waist, enough to fit someone with a belly like the Pillsbury Doughboy, so the suit has big folds in the stomach area when I sit down. However, their neck seals have vastly improved, so that I'm toasty warm in the new suit because I no longer have any water coming in through the neck seal. YMMV

  7. I just emailed my dealer and he told me that all you need to do to order the custom suits is fill in the attached form and send it to your dealer. My dealer charges $50 per alteration (sleeves or pant legs). Pinnacle's office is still in CA and not at Zeagle HQ. Maybe there will be a rebranding later but for now Pinnacle is still in CA.

    I think the problem with Pinnacle sizing is that their manufacturer in China may have gone with Asian sizing which is generally 1 size back (ie: M = L in asian size). I also think the quality control isn't all that great since the sample variance I experienced is pretty varied.

    Still the Merino does work but it doesn't matter if the wetsuit doesn't fit right.

     

    Alteration_Form_2009_HH.rtf

    Edited by Drew
  8. Thanks, Drew! My suits are going back today. I'll re-order once I get proper measurements done.

     

    The Bare Velocity Progressive suit I got is 5/4mm and fits like a glove. It's also strangely easy to put on. I've been told that a Bare wetsuit may not last as long as a Pinnacle, but it was a lot cheaper and fits perfectly.

  9. Eric, just drive out to Livermore and try out the wetsuits there. It's easier than playing UPS/Fedex Pong with the dealers.

  10. Good idea.

     

    I'll make it a Wetpixel party. Anyone want to go? :(

  11. I really like the Pinnacle suits. But the sizing is iffy. I always try them on before buying. I might be allergic to neoprene so I really like the wool lining.

  12. I found the inner stitching on the 3mm to be quite sharp against my skin (didn't feel anything with the fatter white stitching on the 5mm). I'm worried that it would be uncomfortable over time.

     

    Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to go to Livermore sometime to try on a bunch of wetsuits.

  13. Or you could send them the wetsuit measurements first, have them select a few then go? Would save you a lot of trying on stuff. You just pay for the privilege :)

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.