As many of us know, Discovery Channel has an annual Shark Week where many programs concentrate on sharks as a theme. I just happened to watch Discovery Channel in Asia today and saw Les Stroud's Survivorman take on sharks. I'd already seen Myth Buster's shark week special and thought it was brain dead entertainment (I mean 7 seasons later the myths I find interesting have all been done). However Les Stroud's Surviving Sharks has a few segments I find totally irresponsible.
They have "Bionic Bob", a mechanical dummy dressed like a diver, simulating a diver to entice tiger sharks to take bites. The sharks drag the dummy down to the bottom and begin to chew on it. They then proceed (surprise surprise) to harass the cameramen who have a similar shape to the dummy (but who is the real dummy here?).
Now what outrages me isn't that Scott Guerney and Les Stroud want to do that show, nor how this sensationalism can only feed the paranoia the public have about sharks. I'm somewhat disappointed that Discovery Channel would show this sort of show on Shark Week where it's suppose to be educating the public about sharks. I have to accept that it is a broadcast network and I'm sure the whole conservation angle is lost in the search for advertising dollars and ratings.
What really irks me are the shark dive operators who actually allow the simulation of divers to be attacked by sharks in the same area where they conduct their regular shark dives. Now that is totally shortsighted. There's never been any proof of association with humans as food with sharks. Still, they know when a boat comes round, it's feeding time. When they purposely use a human-like dummy as bait to be bitten and attacked by sharks, I don't see how that can be anything but detrimental. What surprises me is the dive operators like Stuart Cove and Dolphin Dream would help perpetuate this stupidity for a few days charter and some TV coverage. I would think working on the public image of their prime product would be worth much more in the long run.
I'm absolutely confounded by the choice of the operators and their lack of judgement, or am I expecting too much?
Here's the intro sequence:
and the links to other videos:
http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/survivi...s-bionic-bob-2/
http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/survivi...rks-bionic-bob/