Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Your Favourite Photo of 2008

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 195Posts
  • 195Replies

Read-only discussion

Your Favourite Photo of 2008

195 posts
  1. My favorite was from the bottom of the grand canyon. It was taken with a ND filter, and a makeshift tripod from a pile of rocks

    post-21097-1229717292.jpg

  2. This is easily my favorite photo of the year. Shot up in Port Hardy. There were un-countable numbers of jellyfish in the water. During a safty stop, I took a few pics of them as they floated by. While up-loading photos that evening, I asked Alex about the small critters that were clinging to some of the Jellys. He explained to me they were amphipods. I wanted to see about getting a good shot of them and spent the following dives shooting some on safty stops. A Redeye Medusa drifted by with something somewhat larger on top of it. Closer inspection revealed this small crab.

     

    jelly.jpg

     

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
  3. Some great shots there!

     

    My favorite, not because I think it was my best, but because I was so excited to see it, especially on a wreck diving trip!

     

    332617242_Mv7cY-M.jpg

     

    Taken at Santo, Vanuatu, directly over the President Coolidge. Sad thing was, I took it with my previous settup (G7). I'm doing some dives next week though, so I might even have another one to put in from my SLR in a few days!

     

    Ryan.

    Edited by aussie
  4. This is easily my favorite photo of the year. Shot up in Port Hardy. There were un-countable numbers of jellyfish in the water. During a safty stop, I took a few pics of them as they floated by. While up-loading photos that evening, I asked Alex about the small critters that were clinging to some of the Jellys. He explained to me they were amphipods. I wanted to see about getting a good shot of them and spent the following dives shooting some on safty stops. A Redeye Medusa drifted by with something somewhat larger on top of it. Closer inspection revealed this small crab.

     

    jelly.jpg

     

    Rand

    I love it. What an awesome shot!!

  5. Here is mine, not my best but I still like it. Sadly lost all my photos this year after my hard drive went belly up or should I say drowned...... here is to 2009

     

    post-3196-1229735060.jpg

  6. I took this at the beginning of 2008 in St Croix, US Virgin Islands. We went in the water to photograph hamlets, but when I noticed this guy i forgot all about the hamlets and inched my way closer to him.

     

    It's my favorite shot because it was unexpected. Taken with D2x and 105mm.

     

     

    287534973_BapQz-L-2.jpg

  7. Wow, such beautiful photos....amazing. This is why I love this website so much, I learn. Thanks guys and happy holidays. I have two, one with my oly 350 and one with my new nikon d300.

     

    eagleray2.jpg

    Eagle Ray Bonaire, Nikon D300

     

    6ScottNielsen.jpg

    Wakatobi house reef, Oly 350

  8. What an impressive array of photos all!! Enjoy the stories & reasons just as much..

     

    Taken in Ambon's harbor, at a site sometimes referred to as the Twilight Zone..I had been promised a rare daytime glimpse of Mandarin Fish on this site.Right they were. Under the jetty, past the Blue Ring Octopus,beyond the debris dumped by the local fish processing plant, sheltered in the filtered light, there in rubble covered by Black Long Spined Sea Urchins, the beautiful little dragonets fluttered a bout. When I first saw this pair rising above the spines, my first thought, after being skunked earlier on dusk dive, was Mating!! However closer inspection revealed that was not the case, and as the shutter clicked I worried about seeing a duel to the end.

    Not my best photo, but by far the most fasinating behavior captured by me, and a definite favorite of 2008

     

    439394290_xuiTb-L.jpg

     

     

    Taken with an Olympus 330/Olympus housing/ 50mm lens/Inon strobes

    Edited by Quinn
  9. Like others, not necessarily the best of the year, but it was my first outing with my new rig! Jellyfish Lake in Palau. Total luck - and a little cropping :)

    post-14526-1229742036.jpg

  10. What an impressive array of photos all!! Enjoy the stories & reasons just as much..

     

    Taken in Ambon's harbor, at a site sometimes referred to as the Twilight Zone..I had been promised a rare daytime glimpse of Mandarin Fish on this site.Right they were. Under the jetty, past the Blue Ring Octopus,beyond the debris dumped by the local fish processing plant, sheltered in the filtered light, there in rubble covered by Black Long Spined Sea Urchins, the beautiful little dragonets fluttered a bout. When I first saw this pair rising above the spines, my first thought, after being skunked earlier on dusk dive, was Mating!! However closer inspection revealed that was not the case, and as the shutter clicked I worried about seeing a duel to the end.

    Not my best photo, but by far the most fasinating behavior captured by me, and a definite favorite of 2008

     

    439394290_xuiTb-L.jpg

     

     

    Taken with an Olympus 330/Olympus housing/ 50mm lens/Inon strobes

     

     

    I remember that exact dive! :) I got stuck at the blue ring..

  11. Holy cow, Cor! Great moment!

    Cheers,

    Marli

  12. My favorite is the most recent little manatee that I fell in love with, this photo is from 3 days ago. My husband dubbed him "Torpedo", because of the way he playfully darted around amongst all the other manatee. We have been observing him for over a month now - as I think it was mid-November when I first photographed him and his mom, who BTW really does seem to enjoy "showing him off". :)

     

    Torpedo & Mom

     

    Manatee_Torpedo_Mom-1.jpg

  13. Now I've seen Hammerheads at Blue corner and German channel but jelly fish lake??

    Edited by PIG004
  14. Here's mine

    After a chat with Martin Edge earlier in the year I wanted to play with dusk sunlight.

    I found some Lionfish hunting siversides in open water on the housereef in Marsa Alam and 'Flailed Away' with the Tokina 10-17.

    Not brilliant shots but with a yellowing sun against the blue water I was very pleased with the results.

     

    post-6945-1229760603.jpg post-6945-1229760633.jpg

     

    Wishing all you 'Wet Pixies' a Merry Christmas

     

    Nige Wade

    Edited by under pressure
  15. I remember that exact dive! :) I got stuck at the blue ring..

     

    Not a bad subject to be stuck with Mike, especially when you get it to yourself!! :monkey:

     

    Happy Holidays & Good Luck on the new venture with Simon in Lembeh..

     

    Cindy

  16. Rand> truly amazing shot of the jellyfish!

     

    I have yet to visit tropical waters but here is one of my favorite shots from cold waters (4 degrees at the time of shooting).

     

    IMG_1910.jpg

  17. Here's my favourite and its story. Taken about 15m down in Loch Fyne Scotland, the fish - a black goby - was peering into the discarded beer bottle when I first saw it. As I approached, the fish swam head first into the bottle, but being a rather fat fish it had trouble getting in and had to thrash its tail around to push itself into the bottle. After a couple of minutes I got this shot. Unfortunately, a designer commented that it rather looked like the British prime minister, Gordon Brown, contemplating the economic crisis from the depths of a bottle, and I'm reminded of this every time I look at the picture.

    post-1587-1229773738.jpg

  18. 2008 has been a good year; many great shots for me and lots of good memories. Lots of time spent diving with new friends I've met directly or indirectly through Wetpixel.
    Our favorite shots are not always the most technically perfect, but often those that do more on a personal emotional level. I do two very different things in my underwater photography - in a pool studio, it's all about visualization and control, in the wild it's all about trying to show something the way I saw and wondered at it.

    In my pool work I've made progress in setting up my 'studio' and I have lots of ideas for 2009 with some pool shoots already scheduled for January. Here's one that shows some control of lighting and control by my excellent model.

    Image removed at the request of the photographer.

    In the wild, my favorite shot; is of the same subject as Carol's manatees. I think one of the hardest things to do underwater is to tell a story, unless it's something obvious like a dead finned shark.
    For me the composition of this image tells the story of an ever watchful mommy manatee hanging in the background as her little one curiously checks me out.
    Sun streaming through the water just the way I saw it, another difficult thing to convey underwater.
    I'm also very pleased that the image is 100% available light, and my first outing with the D700.

    Crystal%20River2008-12-046149.jpg

    Edited by adamhanlon
  19. Here is mine,

    I took this photo on October in Elphistone. I didn't crop the image, after I took this photo with a Tokina 10-17mm it bumped my front port. It was a really cool experience swimming with the oceanics.

    Oceanic_001.jpg

    Edited by DavidG
  20. Nice images.

     

    Here's mine

     

    post-5720-1229793638.jpg

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.