We all know how much damage the sharks fin trade has done to the shark population in the oceans. And I'm sure the majority of us would never touch the stuff (I admittedly have 20 years ago as a kid). However the population at large, especially the noveau riche chinese and VERY established Hong Kong crowd, don't even know or care about things like this. This is even more true now in this economic climate. I realized this when I was going to eat at a chinese restaurant yesterday. This particular restaurant wasn't the typical cantonese style restaurant that automatically serves shark fins. However, I always ask if they do have sharks fin on the menu before I go in. If they do, I would politely say that I won't patronize a restaurant which does serve shark fin. If they ask for an explanation, I'll go into further detail. My friend was surprised I'd do this but after discussion she thought it is a good way to be vocally supportive. I was reminded of this act by a friend who works in conservation. I would normally mull in silent protest and the chinese restaurants would not know or miss my money. By telling them, they now know that there is at least one customer not willing to go to the restaurant because of their menu.
I do think it is time for people who support for conservation to be more proactive. The live seafood trade and sharks fin trade is rife is asia and anywhere there are chinese restaurants. Find out if the live reef fish in the tanks are endangered and let the proprietor know you won't support them if they continue to serve the food.
So if I may make a suggestion to our readers in the holiday season to make an extra effort from now on when you pass a chinese restaurant. Walk by, check the menu and let your voice be heard. To quote Wild Aid's campaign " when the buying stops, the killing will too."
In confession, this suggestion is motivated by very selfish reasons. I'm tired of the crappy chinese food I have to suffer at chinese restaurants that don't serve sharks fin. It would seem the best chinese food is served at the popular chinese restos which unfortunately have to cater to the chinese population by serving sharks fin. The same for live reef fish.
Happy holidays.
PS: Just so you don't think I'm just picking on the chinese, I'll be following up with Patagonia Toothfish (Chilean Seabass) very soon. ![]()



