Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Too much technology?

Started by Paul Kay ·

  • 72Posts
  • 72Replies

Read-only discussion

Too much technology?

72 posts
  1. Godwins law modified to apply to any photography forum: "As a photography usenet/forum/blog discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Ansel Adams approaches one" :dancing:

  2. Godwins law modified to apply to any photography forum: "As a photography usenet/forum/blog discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Ansel Adams approaches one" :(

     

    ROTFLMAO :dancing:

  3. Just a thought, but if no new camera's etc came out then no one would upgrade meaning that the 2nd hand market would be very small and also much more expensive. Housing an dslr is a big expense and being able to pick up a reasonable priced used system is how I finally moved up from P and S.

    Thank you techies.....

     

    Rgds

     

    Duncan

  4. HI,

    This is a very interesting thread, I can say that I get lost in all technological advances I can say that

    my camrea can do so much more than I can ever think it could, but does this bother me, well no.

    Just as long as I am happy with my images thats all that matters. I have been on quite a few workshops

    & no-one really talks about what their camera can or can do, its more about what images have been taken.

    Whats the saying ( beauty in the eye of the beholder ) thats what we all do isn't it??

    Andy :dancing::(

  5. I am happy with my images thats all that matters.

     

    Spot on, but ...

     

    ... there is a minimum acceptable technology for each of us, and it does evolve with time (and ego, I suspect: although there is also the pleasure of bucking the trends and proving your skill by getting results from the simple gear of an earlier era).

     

    Me, I'm trying to visit interesting places at the moment, not visiting interesting cameras!

     

    Tim

     

    :good:

  6. OK I know this is bad so go head and beat me with a seawhip - just can't help myself:

     

    " For uw photography, don't ask your self WWAAD? - Ask yourself WWDDD!"

  7. OK I know this is bad so go head and beat me with a seawhip - just can't help myself:

     

    " For uw photography, don't ask your self WWAAD? - Ask yourself WWDDD!"

    Have you ever seen the sh$t the Nat Geo guys travel with? If I had to ask myself that, I'd be running out and making a pretty big investment in extra housings, bodies...you name it.

    Hmmm.I'll have to add RED to my list and I don't even do video. :good:

    Edited by loftus
  8. OK I know this is bad so go head and beat me with a seawhip - just can't help myself:

     

    " For uw photography, don't ask your self WWAAD? - Ask yourself WWDDD!"

     

    Why would I care what Adam Ant and Donald Duck would do? :good:

  9. One use I love about the "new technology", Is going back on some of my old huge slide collection, and developing them in PS. Some of our old close but not quite shots are now keepers. As Bob dylan said You better start swimming or youll sink like a stone, for the times they are a changing

  10. " For uw photography, don't ask your self WWAAD? - Ask yourself WWDDD!"

     

    The "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Underwater Section" has the following erudite commentary:

     

    "It is, of course, a universally acknowledged fact that all photographers are, in fact, Ansel Adams.

     

    This is clearly demonstrated by the observation that he continues to publish work that you have not seen before even though he is dead.

     

    This in turn is because he shares the property of moving back and forth in time with subatomic particles (Richard Feynman explained this: anti-electrons or positrons can be regarded as electrons moving backwards in time. The world-line of the electron is, therefore, sufficiently complex that all electrons can be the same electron, observed at different times and places) and all photographers are therefore Ansel Adams, caught in an instant by Henri Cartier-Bresson, who is also, of course, Ansel Adams...

     

    ... moving back and forth in time, photographed at different times and places...

     

    ... DD is therefore AA, and you only need ask WWAAD, or, of course, WWIDM (What Would I Do Myself)."

     

    an extract from the Quantum Guide to Underwater Photography

     

    Tim

     

    :good:

  11. quoting music, literature.... thanks you guys.. for bringing so much kultcha to these threads. we luvs yous all.

  12. Sure! those of us , :good: like me that dont know, are here for comic relief

  13. I apologise for not entering into this discussion. I was away diving and taking photographs with Jeff Goodman (Google him!).

    He does not actually own his own camera since they would rarely be the right spec for the job he was on.

    Edited by John Bantin
  14. I apologise for not entering into this discussion. I was away diving and taking photographs with Jeff Goodman (Google him!).

     

    Isn't he that supa fast punching Kenpo Karate guy ???.. or was that Jeff Speakman... Anyone of them would have been a great convo...

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean (wahhh haaa )B

  15. Isn't he that supa fast punching Kenpo Karate guy ???.. or was that Jeff Speakman... Anyone of them would have been a great convo...

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean (wahhh haaa )B

     

     

    For those who do not know how to use Google, I should explain that he is a well-known wildlife cameraman.

  16. For those who do not know how to use Google, I should explain that he is a well-known wildlife cameraman.

     

     

    I knew that... :good:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  17. So did you get any flying mimic octopus while diving with Jeff, John? :good:

  18. So did you get any flying mimic octopus while diving with Jeff, John? :good:

     

    I got the flu!

  19. I am firm believer in the KISS principle. What I find amazing is not so much the hardware side of the tech (I worked on the birds that put some of the early digital sensors into orbit in 80s) but the access to it. Just look at all the menu options and the interface to get to it. Sometimes it is nightmare just trying to view the image you just took. One thing I love about my old 5MP Contax DVS Digital is how intuitive it is to use. But all those dials and knobs have sure bought the digital photography to the masses.

     

    I am reminded of David Hass's comment about wet lens on compact cameras - "people wanting super wide lenses yet very, very few UW photographers use them effectively. So as stated, I'd be happy with a true 28mm." I guess I am the same give me easy intuitive access to the technology and I will do the rest (or at least I hope I can).

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.