Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Shark fin awareness in China

Started by bmyates ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Shark fin awareness in China

27 posts
  1. This is the translation. :lol: There are sentences which could be better structured (since they sounded like broken "English") but have decided to leave them alone... :) Words with (?) mean I am unsure if correctly translated...

     

    Xariatay,

     

    Thanks SO much for the translation! I know it probably took you a long time, but you are FAR better than Google Translate! ;)

     

    They took some liberties with some of my comments, and changed some things outright (e.g., my wife was NOT with me on that trip :) , and it was an orange frogfish, not green salmon!), but overall it was a very flattering article, and I was really honored they wrote such an extensive article at all! :)

  2. Xariatay,

     

    Thanks SO much for the translation! I know it probably took you a long time, but you are FAR better than Google Translate! :B):

     

    They took some liberties with some of my comments, and changed some things outright (e.g., my wife was NOT with me on that trip :( , and it was an orange frogfish, not green salmon!), but overall it was a very flattering article, and I was really honored they wrote such an extensive article at all! :)

     

    You are most welcome! :lobster: It did take longer than I have expected!

    Oops, sorry, my error!! 青蛙鱼 = frogfish! I used the yahoo Babel Fish & dumped the 3 chinese words in, it came out as salmon & I didn't use my brains! :wacko: should have realized 青蛙 = frog & 鱼 = fish...

    & discover the other error, should be October not November... can't amend the original post.. :sorry:

    Edited by xariatay
  3. This is all really good news! The more this word spreads, the better!

     

    Not to hijack the thread, but I also strongly believe that we need to remember the cruel slaughtering of dolphins in the seas of Japan as well!

  4. Not to hijack the thread, but I also strongly believe that we need to remember the cruel slaughtering of dolphins in the seas of Japan as well!

     

    Not a hijack at all, Andre! If I (or anyone else) could get as much attention for a dolphin shot as the grinning shark has gotten, maybe we could make a small dent in public opinion for dolphins as well. This is about the closest I've come to a dolphin shot that has human interest value (I call it "Who's Posing for Whom?"):

    393782239_Zjkwu-M.jpg

  5. I love dolpins too! I like that photo! Any updates from Japan?

  6. I love dolphins too! What's the difference between those dolphins in the picture and mahi-mahi we eat ? Why is mahi-mahi translate as dolphins ?

    Edited by CADiver
  7. I love dolphins too! What's the difference between those dolphins in the picture and mahi-mahi we eat ? Why is mahi-mahi translate as dolphins ?

     

    Mahi Mahi is dolphinFISH, which is a game fish and no relation to the mammals we think of when we think of "dolpins". There's no confusing the two once you know the difference - just as you would never confuse a tiger with a tiger shark, or a frog with a frogfish, or a pussycat with a pussywillow...and so on. :D

     

    Dolphinfish

    dolphinfish1.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.