Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Tape is King!!!!

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Tape is King!!!!

32 posts
  1. I just have to say how happy I am that I use HDV on tape not solid state... By accident one of my staff ended up deleting a file which contained 10 gig of footage that was involved in a project I was working on (due to my stupidity)...

     

    But just turned on FCP, chucked the tapes back in and re-captured all sorted in about 30 mins!

     

    really brings it home that with solid state you need a good solid work flow with backups and make sure that you do it.

  2. :lol:
  3. First thing after recording (movie or still image) is multiply... then edit.

     

    I think tape is more prone to be overwritten than erased, but both with same results.

  4. I just have to say how happy I am that I use HDV on tape not solid state... By accident one of my staff ended up deleting a file which contained 10 gig of footage that was involved in a project I was working on (due to my stupidity)...

     

    But just turned on FCP, chucked the tapes back in and re-captured all sorted in about 30 mins!

     

    really brings it home that with solid state you need a good solid work flow with backups and make sure that you do it.

     

    Jonny don't blame the media for a bad workflow. Even with tape, with important clips, you backup. No difference either way. If you have a staff that's trashing stuff that 10GB without backup, you should really trash him/her instead. :lol:

    Edited by Drew
  5. I sure am glad I shoot stills on tape. If I used solid state I'd be vulnerable to accidental deletion.

  6. I agree with Drew... (Cause this time i didnt need an interpreter !!!... ;) )

     

    Ive heard of someone accidently dropping a box of DVCAM tapes full of good footage in water !!... No not me :lol: So guano happens ...

     

    Wags... :) lol.. I love that man... Your be with us soon bro... i can feel your presence... Soon... :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  7. I sure am glad I shoot stills on tape. If I used solid state I'd be vulnerable to accidental deletion.

     

    vs intentional tape damage by the deck or camcorder by jamming, scrunching and tearing. LOL

     

    No media is safe from humans really, nor age or the elements.

  8. Yes you are all right it isn't a media issue..... I just has a moment of 'oh F*&K what am I going to do' the bit I was most impressive bit was the fact that FCP que's up the tape to the correct in and out points and just recaptures, I knew the feature was there but I had never had to use it.

  9. Anyone who has been at this for awhile has had that oh Sh-t moment. I once accidently overwrote an entire Tanzania/Kenya safari. I couldn't believe I was that stupid but sometimes it hits the fan.

    Steve

  10. One particular day shooting last year went so well and went on so long that I ended up using two tapes. Well at least I thought I'd used two tapes..... :)

     

    ....but then again last year I also saw P2 cards accidentally erased, HDD's break and on two notable occasions the complete and utter human failure to press REC at critical moments (there is NOTHING worse than thinking yeah baby this is AMAZING footage just as your brain registers the lack of red in the viewfinder). Things are going to fook up now and again and there is just as much chance for it to be human failure than media or machinery! :lol:

     

    Cheers, Simon

  11. Then there is the..... opps forgot to cue up the tape are reviewing.

     

    Simon hows that review going?

    Edited by wagsy
  12. Whats worse is not pressing the record button properly to stop filming, then swimming around still shooting. Lifting the camera to start filming again only to put it in standby mode instead of record. And not pay attention to the Rec symbol not being there. OH Ive done it to many times now. ;)

    Get home expecting to see some great footage and get a whole lot of my leg or fin or just scenery. Beck finds it hilarious :) im not so impressed :lol:

    Edited by Probie
  13. Just think of how much footage was shot of fins and the bottom of dump buckets. Doesn't happen to me very often but still occurs once in a while.

    Steve

  14. Just use any unintentional fast pans of reefs etc as a nifty and innovative wipe from one scene to another... Ive seen it done on many a film and it works... Sometimes... :(

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  15. So glad to see fellow Tape fans. No need to take a laptop on a trip (hate the idea)!!

     

    I always have a spare camera when traveling so I make a backup dupe tape of anything special at the end of each day.

     

    Long live Tape!!

  16. Yea, another tape fan here too. Same reasons, and I dont want to lug a laptop on any trips. Would rather pack a few boxes of tapes instead.

     

    I will fess up tho, I am a bit of a technological laggard. I use tape for the video, and shoot film for the stills.

    Edited by wolfeeldiver
  17. O and don't forget that delicate hard drive to pack with your laptop.

    O and better put in a second delicate hard drive to back up the first one.

    O and better take a backup laptop in case your main one buggers up while on your trip and you cannot empty you video camera cards.

     

    :huh:

    Edited by wagsy
  18. O and don't forget that delicate hard drive to pack with your laptop.

    O and better put in a second delicate hard drive to back up the first one.

    O and better take a backup laptop in case your main one buggers up while on your trip and you cannot empty you video camera cards.

     

    :laugh:

     

    :huh::deadhorse:

     

    Watch those dropouts, precious tapes, tape carriage malfunctions etc...

     

     

    Hold on im still using my A1... Yeah tapes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:

     

    :laugh:

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(best of both worlds)B

  19. Dean

    Are you trying to wake that horse up or kill it?

    :huh:

  20. Dean

    Are you trying to wake that horse up or kill it?

    :huh:

     

     

    Wake it up of course... He was getting fed up with the tape Vs solid state argument and passed out... I asked if he had an opinion and all he said was NEY !!!!... :deadhorse:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.