Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Makeup for underwater models

Started by Stephen Colquitt ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Makeup for underwater models

8 posts
  1. I know a few members here do underwater photgraphy of models.

     

    Im hoping to get some advice on what makeup is best when photographing people underwater? Im looking to do a shoot with a couple of people soon and dont have much experience in terms of what constitutes "waterproof" makeup. I would like to provide them with a little guidance because I would hate to end up with a panda eyed look. Thanks in advance

     

    Steve

  2. Steve,

    There was a thread on this before.

    I have found that MAC make-up works very well.

  3. Steve,

    There was a thread on this before.

    I have found that MAC make-up works very well.

     

     

    Thanks for this Loftus. I searched for MAC make up and found this thread from 2007

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21433

    Edited by segal3
  4. I agree. Airbrushed MAC makeup is best for underwater use.

     

    Here's an example above water:

     

    _MG_8692.jpg

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. I agree. Airbrushed MAC makeup is best for underwater use.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Thanks James - I was actually showing the model in question some of the work in your gallery as somethign for us to aspire to the other day so wish me luck in trying to emulate the quality of your shots!

  6. There is plenty of brands which have waterproof makeup. My friend who did makeup work for a few features with underwater scenes often buys not by brand but what look she wants to create. She told us a story about how a model had sensitive skin and the silicon based waterproof makeup caused the girl to have bad reactions...made worse by using a special waterproof makeup remover.

    If I remember correctly, there's a couple of stores on Chapel St which had a good assortment of cosmetics you can go check out. I know I had to run out there a few times to get stuff for the SO, who btw prefers Dior and Bourjois for waterproofness, but she's kinda the pool lay around type rather than the model in the water for hours type. :vava:

  7. There is plenty of brands which have waterproof makeup. My friend who did makeup work for a few features with underwater scenes often buys not by brand but what look she wants to create. She told us a story about how a model had sensitive skin and the silicon based waterproof makeup caused the girl to have bad reactions...made worse by using a special waterproof makeup remover.

    If I remember correctly, there's a couple of stores on Chapel St which had a good assortment of cosmetics you can go check out. I know I had to run out there a few times to get stuff for the SO, who btw prefers Dior and Bourjois for waterproofness, but she's kinda the pool lay around type rather than the model in the water for hours type. :vava:

    You're right most brands make makeups that are waterproof enough for our needs; the real performers type of makeup, silicone based etc, are mostly overkill.

    The type of MAC makeup we like is called StudioFix, probably most large brands will have similar lines.

    Edited by loftus
  8. My wife is a makeup artist and when I asked her about this she said the best makeup to use would be to airbrush and recommended the brand Temptu and the line Dura Skin.

    Shes also available for hire:)

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.