Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Macro Choice!

Started by Andi Voeltz ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Choice!

36 posts
  1. This guy uses a verrrry long lens set up. 

    It's nice but almost too drastic, I think... I was quite conviced by Eric's shots with the 100mm Canon. I picked two of them which I find espescially remarkable.

     

    20030103_202802_1.jpg

     

    20030107_072042_1.jpg

     

    But I might guess the difficulties you encounter, when seeing his turtle shot and also this one:

     

    20030107_071058_1.jpg

     

    But I think it's more a matter of the angle and strobe. Because this shot by Lars

    with our Coolpix 990 turned out very well:

     

    ssh65960_std.jpg

     

    ..but it's not as close as I would like to have it. You see ;)

     

    Andi

  2. Without getting into the technical aspects, I'd like to weigh in here too. I LOVE the 105mm on my D100/Aquatica housing. I shoot it with the macro port and port extension. For years I longed to photograph the little critters with my Nikonos V and macro tubes. It seldom happened. With the 105mm macro lens, I can stay back out of the fish's "threat zone" and fire away. The 105mm is somewhat limiting, of course, and if a manta ray or whale shark swims by, all you can do is wave. But the 105mm opens up a whole new world of possibilities, and I love that. I almost have to make myself put on the 60mm or 14mm during a dive trip, or I would keep the 105mm on all the time. It's not the easiest lens to use, and yes, the DOF is very small, but the rewards are - to me - worth it, including the experience of looking at the reef in an entirely different way.

     

    That's my 2¢ worth!

     

    Yellow.jpg

  3. But I might guess the difficulties you encounter, when seeing his turtle shot and also this one:

     

    20030107_071058_1.jpg

     

    But I think it's more a matter of the angle and strobe.

    I just got too frustrated when trying to shoot this goby. There was swell, and it was nearly impossible to keep him in focus, so I abandoned the effort. ;)

  4. You guys have made several referenced to the small DOF of the 105 lens. Remember that DOF is determined by reproduction ratio - not by focal length. In other words, a 60mm at 1:1 has the same DOF as a 105 or a 200 mm at the same magnification. The backgrounds include less information, however, making a less distracting background for the long focal length

  5. You guys have made several references to the small DOF of the 105 lens. Remember that DOF is determined by reproduction ratio - not by focal length. In other words, a 60mm at 1:1 has the same DOF as a 105 or a 200 mm at the same magnification. The backgrounds include less information, however, making a less distracting background for the long focal length

    Good point.

  6. PauP, thanks for the very interesting weblink. FYI, in Asia Pacific Reef Guide by Debelius pages 102-105 include more "supermacro" work made by Mitsuaki Takata.

  7. You might look into a compromise between your 110 and 60 mm Lens choice.

    I just purchased a Tamron 90 mm 2.8 macro. It has a very good reputation for sharpness, and I’ve read a lot of good feed back on the net. So far I’m very happy with it’s performance. I have not used it underwater yet, I’m still working on a flat port but should have it ready this week.

     

    Marc

  8. I have just found this interesting shot taken with my Nikkor 60mm

     

    For some reason I went in to take Seal shots with a Macro lens....suprisingly I got some reults!

     

    So to describe the image:

    A half & half portrait shot of an Atlantic Grey Seal, bitiing my left fin!

    or "a flukey one-off!"

     

    Aquatica housed F90. 100ASA

  9. Eric, I think you will find the 100mm focus issue goes away with the D60. I have shot hundred of shots with the 100mm and the 10D with no issue. In fact I am now considering the 180mm macro lens.

     

    Also I tried the extention tubes that however did create a focus issue. You can certainly focus on items with in a few inches but if the subject is a foot or more away it becomes an impossibility. ( in auto focus anyway)

     

    Has anyone used a 180mm lens underwater? With the .6 magnification it would effectively be a 280 mm lens.

     

     

    Yellow%20Tail%20Snapper.jpg

     

    Chain%20Moray%20at%20night.jpg

    crabs1.jpg

    Spotted%20Cleaner%20Shrimp.jpg

  10. Spotted%20Cleaner%20Shrimp.jpg
  11. Has anyone used a 180mm lens underwater? With the .6 magnification it would effectively be a 280 mm lens.

    Mauricio uses a 105 with 2x teleconverter and has tried it with a D100 or S2 (not sure which). Kasey tried that combination, too, I believe. You might consider trying a teleconverter on your 100mm to see if you like the focal length before springing for the 180mm.

     

    Remember the flat port adds a 4/3 magnification. The 180mm on the 10D through a flat port is nearly 400mm land-equivalent.

  12. The 105 plus 2X TC is challenging b ut quite fun. Obviously you wouldn't rely on AF with this combination. The difference though, is that the combination maintains the min focus distance of the 105mm, so you can achieve 3:1 macro! A 180mm would just push you further from the subject, adding water. Might be great for garden eels and a few other unapproachables.

  13. I prefer to use the 105mm with diopters with my digicam. I find that with a teleconvertor the minimum focus is a bit long (same as before) over most of the focal range, whereas the dioptre brings the minimum focus closer to the camera.

    Alex

  14. Difficult, and everyone has different choices preferences. ( based on nikon lenses ).... had the

     

    -60 mm with 2x TC. Benefits, AF still kinda worked, draw back, you had to get so close, the Jaw fish could almost kiss the port glass, and strobe positioning was difficult ( no space). Forget this set up with shy animals.

     

    - Now for the 105 with 2xTC. Slightly more distance, like this set up the best. Forget about AF, and as such faster moving animals are hard to shoot ( then again, Nudi branches are not exactly Brare Hare ). You are probably limited to stationary subjects. Jaw Fish an Gobies still hard to get really close to, but I have some great shots with this set up of i.e. cronoid shrimps

     

    - 200 mm with 2x TC. Again, every " Design " has its draw backs and benefits. Donthave this set up, but assume it would be good for shy animals. Draw back would be probably its long length of the lens, possible camera shake, and recon it will have the same auto focus problems as the 105 with the TC.

  15. So following up our conversation here Lars & decided on the 100mm Canon Macro lense.

    We will also buy a close-up lense and would like to which one you recommend?

     

    The Canon 250 D or the Canon 500 D or Canon 500 close-up lense?

    The above where said to work best with the 100mm lense (source: Canon).

     

    Thanxx, Andi

  16. Alex,

     

    What size diopter are you using with the 105mm? How close does it move the minimum focus distance?

     

    Thanks,

     

    John

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.