Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Nude underwater models

Started by Cal ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Nude underwater models

22 posts
  1. Hey Wetpixelators,

     

     

    So I've been branching out lately with my photography and doing a little bit of pool work. I've show cased this work on various websites (flickr, facebook, wetpixel etc) and recently received an interesting invitation from a potential model. The model would love to do nude underwater shots for her portfolio.

     

    Now i'm stuck with the dilemma in that I really don't find underwater naked pics that appealing. I can see why some people would appreciate them but they really don't do anything for me.

     

    I would feel strange about posting the shots anywhere and as such, wouldn't really be interested in being the photographer for the shoot.

     

     

    What do people think about this touchy (no pun intended :) ) subject?

     

    NWS - for an example of nude shots see Helmut Horn (http://www.fifty-fathoms-edition.com/)

     

    Cal

    Edited by Cal
  2. Hi Cal!

    Personally I don't see anything wrong with takeing pic's of nude models. I belive there are some really great pictures of this theme, wich I certainly would call art.

    Nude pictures for some models portfolio does not mean that You HAVE to post or upload them as You'r latest work?! It could be a job asi any other.. (in case You get payed)?! :)

     

    But if You are clearly not interested of the whole shootout, I think You should skip it. If You are not doing this for a living and photographing is just a great hobby, then i think that it should not include shootouts that You don't enjoy or feel comfortable with.

     

    And if You don't see these pic's as art, then maybe You are not the best photographer for this partricular job?

     

    Maybe I'm seeing this in a wrong way, but I would not do it if I would not feel comfty with it - simple as that :)

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  3. Thats some good points.

     

    I wouldn't get paid for the gig but ill probably still do it anyway for a laugh. I wasn't so much interested in responses based on my dilemma but rather on what people think of underwater nude shots in general (although I do appreciate your advice.)

     

    I saw a recent series on FLICKR of a nude pregnant lady and found them incredibly creative as a theme

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alberich/ (not work safe)

     

    Cal

  4. If you're still having a moral dilemma... send her my way :)

  5. Ok to every rule there is an exception -

     

    Howard Schatz's underwater nudes are breath taking.............

     

    Cal

  6. If they're not personally interesting to you I wouldnt bother Cal, unless you're getting paid fairly well for it.

     

    If its just worrying about what other people think and you are interested in it artistically, lifes too short, go for it. But maybe charge anyway :) .

     

    Otara

  7. Hi Cal,

     

    I think you should give it a try. If nothing else, you'll learn how damn hard it is :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. Cal,

    If you have not already done so, take a look at Howard Schatz's work, and see if it appeals to you. If you think it's beautiful, go for it. If not, give it a miss.

  9. Well not just stills but movies too. Look at Kelly Craig in 300 as the oracle. Nothing overt but incredibly visual. Nudity for nakedness sake is boring to me too, but give it a background and a statement and it's very powerful.

  10. Cal, if you are okay with the time expense I would say go for it just for the experience of getting more time in the pool. Though she may want specific photos for her portfolio are there some you want? This would be a nice exchange.

     

    And Mathews' work is incredible and eerie at the same time.

  11. Some really good thoughts. Thanks.

     

    I guess at the end of the day it is just another subject and as such its worth the experience.

     

    "Look at Kelly Craig in 300 as the oracle. Nothing overt but incredibly visual. Nudity for nakedness sake is boring to me too, but give it a background and a statement and it's very powerful."

     

    - That scene was mind blowing. Who shot it?

     

    Cheers

     

    Cal

  12. It was shot on simple blue screen. The guys who did the VFX and gave it the look were Screaming Death Monkey.

  13. I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

     

    As for posting them, I would have thought once the work is completed the shots would be her's and her call if they are to be posted anywhere (assuming she is paying)?

     

    Aengus

  14. Aengus,

     

    The ownership of the photos depends on a lot of things. If you take photos of a person in the US, you are free to use those photos for editorial use or non-commercial use. You are NOT free to use them for commercial use w/o a model release signed by the person in the photo. If the model and the photographer have an agreement that the photos can be used for commercial use, then the model can't change his/her mind later.

     

    Cheers

    James

  15. Thanks for the info guys,

     

    She's not paying me and we have an agreement that I can use them in my portfolio etc. However, I am very wary of publishing (on the web) shots like that as I dont really know much about the litigation side of things.

     

    But enough about me:

     

    I'm still just curious about what people think of nude underwater photos? Besides Howard Schatz does anyone know some other examples of stunning underwater nudes?

  16. Wow!

     

    They were brilliant!

     

    I love the model with the lantern. thats an incredible series.

     

    Cheers

     

    Cal

  17. Very nice; agree with the lantern shots being spectacular. "Tinkerbell" analogy, unless I'm misinterpreting what I think are little wings on the girl as well....she looks much better as a brunette than a Disneyfied blonde. ;)

     

    Although one of the last ones on the first page - with all the light patterning, and just a simple nude on the bottom with no fabric - is also extremely nice.

  18. Check out this two-part article about underwater nudes:

     

    http://nudeartworld.blogspot.com/2009/03/u...ac6881ddd366550

     

     

    Those images are incredible! My fav are the first two although if I ever got a shot like ANY of them I would be thrilled!

     

    Funny thing, since the cenotes are my back yard, I had been thinking of trying to shoot a model there..obviously not the unique idea I had thought. But let me tell you, trying to find someone willing to get in the 76 degree water w/o a wetsuit and maintain a pleasant expression is tough!

  19. Nudes in art decorate most of the world's greatest museums. Photography as art is a relatively new species compared to painting. People will accept photography of nudes underwater as art when potrayed as art, like the link presented in this series. And you will find people that do not appreciate your work, just as all others that generate art.

    The world tends to accept art long after the demise of the artist, for some reason. If your work is great, the same will likely occur. Now isn't that heartwarming?

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.