Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Ikelite Silicone grease question

Started by nwscubamom ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite Silicone grease question

11 posts
  1. With my new Ikelite housing, I got a teensy little single-use type tube of lube. Ikelite brand. The directions clearly state that you need to use Ikelite brand silicone grease to prevent the O-ring from swelling. I had been using Sea&Sea silicone grease with my old (Sea&Sea) camera.

     

    519401373_LmiZn-M.jpg

    top: Sea&Sea silicone-easily spread, middle: Canon silicone for their housings-about the same consistency, bottom: Ikelite silicone-very,very thick and hard to spread.

     

    The tear-off Ikelite grease is a pain. There's no way to reseal it once you use it, and although it would look like it's single-use, it's not. There's quite a bit of lube in there. So once it's open, it can now squoosh out and all over everything. Give me a tube with a lid please!

     

    Well, doing an internet search today it would appear that Ikelite ONLY makes the 'single-use' type tubes. Four for about $2.

     

    Anyone know if there's something else that works well, or do you stick to these pain-in-the-toosh little containers?

     

    And does Ikelite make a real tube with a screw-on cap?

     

    - Janna

  2. What color is the o-ring? If its black (buna-n) buy a tube of good quality silicone grease. It will last for years. The blue o-rings that S&S uses are a different compound. My fix was to replace these with buna. If the o-ring is red/orange its silicone based. Don't grease these, even with "special grease". Just use a little spit as lubricant. None of the housing manufacturer's make their own grease. They just like to sell these little pre-packaged tubes at substantial cost to the user.

    Edited by jcclink
  3. Dow Corning Molykote 3451 can be used on any O-ring safely.

     

    Dow Corning Molykote 1292 can also probably be used on all O-rings but is not listed as a recommendation for all. Others on this site have used it for all their O-rings.

     

    I have used both the Molykotes listed with several O=ring types will success, including Silicone and buna.

     

    You might a search on O-ring or perhaps grease at this website. Perhaps +O-ring +grease would be a good search as well. Using the plus signs will only show threads with both O-ring and grease present at this site.

     

    Dave

  4. Dow Corning Molykote 3451 can be used on any O-ring safely.

     

    Dow Corning Molykote 1292 can also probably be used on all O-rings but is not listed as a recommendation for all. Others on this site have used it for all their O-rings.

     

    I have used both the Molykotes listed with several O=ring types will success, including Silicone and buna.

     

    You might a search on O-ring or perhaps grease at this website. Perhaps +O-ring +grease would be a good search as well. Using the plus signs will only show threads with both O-ring and grease present at this site.

     

    Dave

    There are lots of threads about these new lubricants. I would personally avoid the 1292 since it is thickened with Polyurea. The 3451 is thickened with teflon so it should be OK. Look at

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27279

    for more info. Christolube and tribolube should also be safe for any oring.

    Bill

  5. [quote name='jcclink'

    If its black (buna-n) buy a tube of good quality silicone grease. None of the housing manufacturer's make their own grease. They just like to sell these little pre-packaged tubes at substantial cost to the user.

     

    good to know and what I would have thought

    just more $ for them

  6. But Ike does usually toss a tube or two in with almost ANY product: port extension, zoom ring, housing, etc. They also send them back with your housings after a repair and cleaning session. I just throw them into a ziplock once opened...because it is so thick, unless you pretty intently "squoosh" the tubes, they don't really tend to goo out much even inside the ziplock inside the gear bag.

     

    I think I'm up to like 10 backup tubes at this point, and the vast majority of my gear was bought used aside from one new port for the 7-14mm lens, and I did send the housing in for a cleaning/repair session.

  7. And it is a good reason to keep those last film containers :-), I keep them in those.

  8. If your set on the Ike grease, get a very small screw top make up jar from your female friend.

    Squeeze about 10 of the mini-Ike tubes into it .

  9. I keep my mini Ike-tube also in a small zip-locked plastick bag and nothing is coming out from the tube. Neither is the grease drying inside the tube.

    One tube has lasted more than a year, so personally I don't see any need to buy some extra silicone greases. I have also atleast 4-5 tubes for spare - so that's like 4 years stack :D

  10. Personally I love the little Ike packets, got loads.

     

    As they are small always have to hand and not a problem if lost.

    Also as they are nearly single use its dificult to contaminate.

     

    Wish I could get some Oxygen comparible ones so I could use on by rebreather.

     

    Cheers,

    Richard B.

  11. Richard,

     

    What model rebreather do you dive?

    We have oxygen compatible grease in 5 gram single use packets.

    follow this link to view the packaging:

    www.aerospacelubricants.com/tribolube/scuba

     

    We will work something out via the manufacturer or a distributor close to you.

     

    Regards,

     

    David Lodwick

     

    Personally I love the little Ike packets, got loads.

     

    As they are small always have to hand and not a problem if lost.

    Also as they are nearly single use its dificult to contaminate.

     

    Wish I could get some Oxygen comparible ones so I could use on by rebreather.

     

    Cheers,

    Richard B.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.