Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Molykote 1292

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Molykote 1292

27 posts
  1. As I accumulate equipment, along come the different greases. I have read various threads about grease and various O-Rings.

    Looking for ONE lubricant that works for all.

    Does DowCorning Molykote 1292 work for all?

    Its a fluorosilicone grease.

     

    I want to use it on Inon Z-240 and Canon OEM housing O-rings.

  2. As I accumulate equipment, along come the different greases. I have read various threads about grease and various O-Rings.

    Looking for ONE lubricant that works for all.

    Does DowCorning Molykote 1292 work for all?

    Its a fluorosilicone grease.

     

    I want to use it on Inon Z-240 and Canon OEM housing O-rings.

    While fluorosilicone greases are usually quite good, I would be very wary of the 1292. 1292 is thickened with a polyurea and without knowing the exact details, I would be very careful of this one. If you want to use a dow material I would go with the 111 or 112.

    Bill

  3. I'd be curious how you eluted the polyurea. When I was flailing through lube selection I researched 1292 and didn't see that reference (always looking for ways to be better at figuring out stuff, neh?).

     

    Thanks!

     

    All the best, James

     

    PS: FWIW, I have seen great results with my trial of Christolube with silicone o-rings, and it is great with Buna and Viton, too. I'm starting another 2 month trial with a possible replacement for Christolube, Tribolube 71, which appears to have tighter manufacturing tolerances, but is otherwise identical. Cheaper, too.

  4. I'd be curious how you eluted the polyurea. When I was flailing through lube selection I researched 1292 and didn't see that reference (always looking for ways to be better at figuring out stuff, neh?).

     

    Thanks!

     

    All the best, James

     

    PS: FWIW, I have seen great results with my trial of Christolube with silicone o-rings, and it is great with Buna and Viton, too. I'm starting another 2 month trial with a possible replacement for Christolube, Tribolube 71, which appears to have tighter manufacturing tolerances, but is otherwise identical. Cheaper, too.

    We were looking at silicones in our lab and had a bunch of them that we looked at by FTIR and some chemical analysis. For the 1292, the official documents we had said fluorosilicone lube with organic thickener. From Dow in England we get Description

    Fluorosilicone grease with polyurea thickener. Voila.

    Bill

  5. PS: FWIW, I have seen great results with my trial of Christolube with silicone o-rings, and it is great with Buna and Viton, too. I'm starting another 2 month trial with a possible replacement for Christolube, Tribolube 71, which appears to have tighter manufacturing tolerances, but is otherwise identical. Cheaper, too.

     

    Which Christolube are you using? I tried the website and there are several to offer.

    OF course, I already have 150 grams of Molykote 1292, enough for a LONG time for me.

  6. I contacted Dow Corning directly

     

    They recommend Molykote 3451 for this application. It should work with any O-ring divers run across.

     

    Other divers have used Molykote 1292 with success for some yrs based on messages to me and searches here of old threads.

    3451 is thickened with ETFE

    1292 is thickened with polyurea

  7. I contacted Dow Corning directly

     

    They recommend Molykote 3451 for this application. It should work with any O-ring divers run across.

     

    Other divers have used Molykote 1292 with success for some yrs based on messages to me and searches here of old threads.

    3451 is thickened with ETFE

    1292 is thickened with polyurea

    I would second the 3451 recommendation, ETFE can't possibly leach out and there will be no monomers around to fog up your lenses. Also water won't have any way to possibly react while the polyureas to me at least appear potentially troublesome.

  8. James,

     

    Thank you for the opportunity to test our product in your system.

    How did you get a sample to try? Did We meet at the DEMA show in Vegas this year?

    Thanks again for the post. If there are any question that you have do not hesitate to call or email me.

     

    David Lodwick

    david@aerospacelubricants.com

    614-878-3600

     

    I'd be curious how you eluted the polyurea. When I was flailing through lube selection I researched 1292 and didn't see that reference (always looking for ways to be better at figuring out stuff, neh?).

     

    Thanks!

     

    All the best, James

     

    PS: FWIW, I have seen great results with my trial of Christolube with silicone o-rings, and it is great with Buna and Viton, too. I'm starting another 2 month trial with a possible replacement for Christolube, Tribolube 71, which appears to have tighter manufacturing tolerances, but is otherwise identical. Cheaper, too.

  9. Hi guys.

     

    Bill, thanks for the description, I was lazy and depended on documentation. And I could have run downstairs and run it through our own IR spec and MSGC...sigh. Thanks. I'd agree that 3451 looks better.

     

    Dave, my trial was with Christolube 111.

     

    David, we did in fact meet at DEMA, and thank you for the samples. I am quite impressed with Tribolube 71 and will switch to it when our supply of Christolube is exhausted. I can't point to any one thing, it's just...better. More consistent in feel and viscosity, nice results with all formulations of o-rings...just feels higher quality.

     

     

    All the best, James

  10. Hi guys.

     

    Bill, thanks for the description, I was lazy and depended on documentation. And I could have run downstairs and run it through our own IR spec and MSGC...sigh. Thanks. I'd agree that 3451 looks better.

     

    Dave, my trial was with Christolube 111.

     

    David, we did in fact meet at DEMA, and thank you for the samples. I am quite impressed with Tribolube 71 and will switch to it when our supply of Christolube is exhausted. I can't point to any one thing, it's just...better. More consistent in feel and viscosity, nice results with all formulations of o-rings...just feels higher quality.

     

     

    All the best, James

    I wasn't trying to figure out what would be good for diving, but more for some implantable gizmos.

    Bill

  11. The Tribolube 71 is the main lubricating grease I would recomend for static and dynamic movement of O-rings and moving parts

    David

     

    I wasn't trying to figure out what would be good for diving, but more for some implantable gizmos.

    Bill

  12. Please clarify for me.

     

    Are you saying that Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 can be used safely to lubricate all o-rings (synthetic and Buna) in my underwater housed camera system?? It will not be absorbed into the o-ring causing expansion or change in the consistency of the different o-rings.

     

    In other words, by using Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 as a lubricant, I could safely eliminate the use of the three different silicone greases that my housing, strobe and sync cord manufacture recommends.

     

    Thanks,

    Elmer

  13. Please clarify for me.

     

    Are you saying that Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 can be used safely to lubricate all o-rings (synthetic and Buna) in my underwater housed camera system?? It will not be absorbed into the o-ring causing expansion or change in the consistency of the different o-rings.

     

    In other words, by using Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 as a lubricant, I could safely eliminate the use of the three different silicone greases that my housing, strobe and sync cord manufacture recommends.

     

    Thanks,

    Elmer

     

     

    According to Dow Corning, you can do that with Molykote 3451.

    According to several divers here, you can also do it with Molykote 1292. The 1292 is white, not clear. the only difference if the filler and color. I find 1292 a bit thicker.

    I cannot answer about the other lube's but I suspect others will. Hope that is some help.

  14. Please clarify for me.

     

    Are you saying that Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 can be used safely to lubricate all o-rings (synthetic and Buna) in my underwater housed camera system?? It will not be absorbed into the o-ring causing expansion or change in the consistency of the different o-rings.

     

    In other words, by using Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 as a lubricant, I could safely eliminate the use of the three different silicone greases that my housing, strobe and sync cord manufacture recommends.

     

    Thanks,

    Elmer

  15. Elmer,

     

    Tribolube 71 Is safe to use on all elastomers ,plastic seals, gaskets, and O-rings, whatever the material is made of. Aquatica and Amphibico have been using Christolube MCG111 for over five years. It will not absorb into the o-ring. The o-ring will not swell like it will with silicone grease either. We are proud to announce that they will both be switching to Tribolube 71 when their supply runs out. We have small 5 gram packets that have put together for this type of application. Please follow the link below to one of our distributors to take a look. Feel free to email me if you have any questions that this reply does not adress or answer.

     

    http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/products.html

     

    Thanks,

     

    David Lodwick

    david@aerospacelubricants.com

     

     

     

    Please clarify for me.

     

    Are you saying that Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 can be used safely to lubricate all o-rings (synthetic and Buna) in my underwater housed camera system?? It will not be absorbed into the o-ring causing expansion or change in the consistency of the different o-rings.

     

    In other words, by using Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 as a lubricant, I could safely eliminate the use of the three different silicone greases that my housing, strobe and sync cord manufacture recommends.

     

    Thanks,

    Elmer

  16. Thanks for your feedbacks.

     

    In review, Tribolube 71 or Christolube 111 or Molykote 3451 will work as one lube compatible with the four different o-rings in my housing, my wife's housing, strobe and sync cables.

    In looking for a distributor to purchase from I found Piranha just a few miles from me, so I'll stop by tomorrow and pick up some tubes of Tribolube 71.

     

    Elmer

  17. If you never tried Tribolube 71 or any other products from Areospace Lubricants like their cleaner K02 or their protectrant EP02 you should go their wesite and check it out. The Tribolube 71 is an amazing new product which is the best I've been exposed to in my years diving.

     

    This stuff is much better than most of the other products available for you guys to use. I had posted earlier but some how it never made it on this discussion line..

     

    Also if you have any questions about any of their products please feel free to send me an email and I will be glad to give you an answer..

     

    Randy

  18. If you never tried Tribolube 71 or any other products from Areospace Lubricants like their cleaner K02 or their protectrant EP02 you should go their wesite and check it out. The Tribolube 71 is an amazing new product which is the best I've been exposed to in my years diving.

     

    This stuff is much better than most of the other products available for you guys to use. I had posted earlier but some how it never made it on this discussion line..

     

    Also if you have any questions about any of their products please feel free to send me an email and I will be glad to give you an answer..

     

    Randy

     

     

    Hi Randy.

    Where can I get this in the UK? (Without having to buy 1Kg of the stuff!?)

  19. what about in Singapore? :(

     

    i agree i've got too many o-rings and greases to worry about. the lady at the local ikelite distributor said "coloured" (as in non-black) o-rings should use the grease supplied. for me that refers to inon strobe o-rings, and sea&sea housing o-rings..while black o-rings on the ikelite system can use any of the silicone grease that comes with cameras, strobes, or whatever.

     

    is this true? i've been using the inon & sea&sea supplied grease for almost everything, and so far so good.

     

    of course, i would like to have a single grease that i know for sure that is safe, and works well with all the rubber we lug around.

     

    thanks!

  20. Randy,

     

    Just wanted to say I used your product, Tribolube 71 on all my underwater housing o-rings (Subal, Inon, Sea & Sea and Olympus) on my last trip to Bonaire. It is working just fine and only using one product has made my o-ring maintenance much easier.

     

    Thanks,

    Elmer

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.