Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Molykote 1292

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Molykote 1292

27 posts
  1. GHP,

     

    Sorry for the interval of time to answer your question.

    Please contact Stephen Phillips he is the distributor for the UK.

    tribolubeuk@aol.com

     

    Regards,

     

    David Lodwick

    Hi Randy.

    Where can I get this in the UK? (Without having to buy 1Kg of the stuff!?)

  2. Antacid,

     

    We have a Tribolube distributor for you as well. Please contact Andy Fritz.

     

    info@rebreatherlab.com

     

    Regards,

     

    David

     

    what about in Singapore? :lol:

     

    i agree i've got too many o-rings and greases to worry about. the lady at the local ikelite distributor said "coloured" (as in non-black) o-rings should use the grease supplied. for me that refers to inon strobe o-rings, and sea&sea housing o-rings..while black o-rings on the ikelite system can use any of the silicone grease that comes with cameras, strobes, or whatever.

     

    is this true? i've been using the inon & sea&sea supplied grease for almost everything, and so far so good.

     

    of course, i would like to have a single grease that i know for sure that is safe, and works well with all the rubber we lug around.

     

    thanks!

  3. what about in Singapore? :P

     

    i agree i've got too many o-rings and greases to worry about. the lady at the local ikelite distributor said "coloured" (as in non-black) o-rings should use the grease supplied. for me that refers to inon strobe o-rings, and sea&sea housing o-rings..while black o-rings on the ikelite system can use any of the silicone grease that comes with cameras, strobes, or whatever.

     

    is this true? i've been using the inon & sea&sea supplied grease for almost everything, and so far so good.

     

    of course, i would like to have a single grease that i know for sure that is safe, and works well with all the rubber we lug around.

     

    thanks!

     

    Out of ignorance I bought a tube of sea & sea O-ring grease to use on my Ikelite Housing o-ring (black).

    My buddy informed me that some o-ring greases are not to be used with certain types of O-rings.

    I'm confused.

    The ikelite web site says "any quality silicon grease is OK"

    It all depends who you talk to.

  4. All this o-ring stuff has become very confusing for no apparent reason, other than to possibly sell these little tubes of "special grease". Buna (black) o-rings require a good quality silicone grease. A big tube will last for years. Silicone (red) o-rings require NO grease - use spit as lubricant. There is no engineering based reason to use the pretty colored o-rings on anything we use underwater. Buna works just fine. I use S&S strobes & sync cords. First thing I do is replace their blue o-rings with buna. One basic grease for everything. This is not rocket science.

    Edited by jcclink
  5. Out of ignorance I bought a tube of sea & sea O-ring grease to use on my Ikelite Housing o-ring (black).

    My buddy informed me that some o-ring greases are not to be used with certain types of O-rings.

    I'm confused.

    The ikelite web site says "any quality silicon grease is OK"

    It all depends who you talk to.

     

    It actually all depends on what the o-ring is made from.

     

    "Ordinary" silicone grease is fine with Ikelite o-rings. It's the fancy rings (usually coloured) that swell if the wrong grease is used. The "fancy" (and expensive) silicones will work with buna o-rings, but why pay for the expensive lubricant?

     

    Despite paranoia (see above) I have used Molykote 1292 on all of my o-rings, buna and silicone, for 6 years now with no problems, despite the addition of polyurea to control its viscosity.

     

    I'm not sure about spit, as a protein residue may build up on the o-ring or in the groove if not regularly cleaned...

     

    Replacing silicone with buna isn't feasible for some of the o-rings in current use, particularly on compact camera housings.

     

    Tim

     

    :rolleyes:

    Edited by tdpriest
  6. It actually all depends on what the o-ring is made from.

     

    "Ordinary" silicone grease is fine with Ikelite o-rings. It's the fancy rings (usually coloured) that swell if the wrong grease is used. The "fancy" (and expensive) silicones will work with buna o-rings, but why pay for the expensive lubricant?

     

    Despite paranoia (see above) I have used Molykote 1292 on all of my o-rings, buna and silicone, for 6 years now with no problems, despite the addition of polyurea to control its viscosity.

     

    I'm not sure about spit, as a protein residue may build up on the o-ring or in the groove if not regularly cleaned...

     

    Replacing silicone with buna isn't feasible for some of the o-rings in current use, particularly on compact camera housings.

     

    Tim

     

    :rolleyes:

    If I had a big tub of 1292, I would probably use it too, but I think the question was about what to buy. In that case, finding a grease that is all purpose and not full of gunk would be where i started. Given that these things are incredibly cheap per use (not per kg) I would opt away from some of the more organic type fillers.

    Bill

  7. JIS metric o-rings are available. The hard part is determining the proper size. The small control o-rings are buna, so no problem. We seldom mess with these anyway. So I'm basically talking about the main housing & port o-rings here, in particular the pretty colored ones ( blue, yellow, etc). Red silicone is ok if you just don't grease it. Water or split is free & easy to come by. Any time the main o-ring is removed (try to minimize this), also clean its groove & all will be fine. Just trying to make life a little easier. In the olden days there were no "special" o-ring compounds, & no leaks (at least not due to compound).

    Edited by jcclink
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.