Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Luggage Suggestions

Started by jakelevenson ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Luggage Suggestions

25 posts
  1. Hi Everyone,

    ok, so I just got a new housing for my D700 and happened to stumble across an old post about gear thefts in Puerto Rico. Of course now I'm worried about losing my housing before ever getting a chance to use it! Does anyone recommend an inconspicuous means of packing gear? Seems like with all the regulations these days you really don't have that much protection from theft. Any advice?

     

    Thanks

  2. If you carry your gear on board you will be ok, it is the check-ins that get ripped off. Just don't use a pelican case as a check in since it draws attention, use something like a lowepro roller since it looks like a regular soft sided case.

     

    Elmer

  3. I've always wanted to use HazMat stickers, but airline might balk. Pack your camera/housing in non-fancy carry/wheel on, something not too heavy. I find LowePro too heavy and not quite deep enough. I transport Nikon D2x rig this way, and it's hardly light-weight.

     

    If challenged on weight [not happened yet], explain your situation, that you have $15,000 of gear or whatever it is. and ask if they will assume liability if they take it. I hear that works.

     

    Hi Everyone,

    ok, so I just got a new housing for my D700 and happened to stumble across an old post about gear thefts in Puerto Rico. Of course now I'm worried about losing my housing before ever getting a chance to use it! Does anyone recommend an inconspicuous means of packing gear? Seems like with all the regulations these days you really don't have that much protection from theft. Any advice?

     

    Thanks

  4. Fork out $130 bucks for a pelican 1510 it meets all the airline carryon requirements and you could store your housing in there. I usually put the housing and strobes inside the pelican and put the camera and lenses inside a lowepro backpack. The rest of the piece parts go in checked luggage.

  5. hi,

    i have a same question here......any one here using ikelite housing that can fit all the staff in one backpack but not case, i saw before one of the dinner keep they thing in one backpack but with nexus housing (a bit campact size)....now i using 2 backpack for my staff.... :P;) not included diving Equement

  6. I recommend the Thinktank products. I was able to get a complete macro setup into carry-on using a Thinktank Airport Acceleration.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. hi,

    i have a same question here......any one here using ikelite housing that can fit all the staff in one backpack but not case, i saw before one of the dinner keep they thing in one backpack but with nexus housing (a bit campact size)....now i using 2 backpack for my staff.... :P;) not included diving Equement

     

    I use a Lowepro Vertex AW300 backpack - right at the limit of carryon legality for US flights, over for international. Does fit under the seat even on American's smaller MD80 aircraft.

     

    I pack the Ike housing, spare port extensions, small dome, zoom rings, 2 DS50s, and all ULCS buoyancy arm components in the backpack. With it lenses, 2 camera bodies (neither is "in" the housing), filters, batteries, chargers, and memory cards. Oh, and a small focus light. I slip my dive computer (in a console mount on a quick-release fitting) in the outside mesh pocket.

     

    The large 8" dome assembly and the actual 2-arm tray handle go in the checked bags with the dive gear, the former wrapped in a wetsuit on top of the included neoprene cover.

     

    With the backpack packed like that I cannot comfortably put a 15.4" laptop (standard HP dv6000 chassis) into the backpack as well. It will "fit" if I force it, but at that point the backpack is expanded too thick to fit under a seat and the laptop feels like it's getting strained (flexed) by the mass of stuff beneath it. So the laptop gets carried by the wife instead.

     

    Wasn't challenged with the backpack on a flight to Dominica, including the smaller turboprop leg from SJU. But only traveled with it the once, and that was just before they started charging for checked bags. Will find out in July if I can make it thru again - at least this time the trip is on a 757 so they may be a bit less 'vigilant' solely based on carryon space (vs. based on revenue maximization....)

  8. Thanks trski.......

     

     

    I use a Lowepro Vertex AW300 backpack - right at the limit of carryon legality for US flights, over for international. Does fit under the seat even on American's smaller MD80 aircraft.

     

    I pack the Ike housing, spare port extensions, small dome, zoom rings, 2 DS50s, and all ULCS buoyancy arm components in the backpack. With it lenses, 2 camera bodies (neither is "in" the housing), filters, batteries, chargers, and memory cards. Oh, and a small focus light. I slip my dive computer (in a console mount on a quick-release fitting) in the outside mesh pocket.

     

    The large 8" dome assembly and the actual 2-arm tray handle go in the checked bags with the dive gear, the former wrapped in a wetsuit on top of the included neoprene cover.

     

    With the backpack packed like that I cannot comfortably put a 15.4" laptop (standard HP dv6000 chassis) into the backpack as well. It will "fit" if I force it, but at that point the backpack is expanded too thick to fit under a seat and the laptop feels like it's getting strained (flexed) by the mass of stuff beneath it. So the laptop gets carried by the wife instead.

     

    Wasn't challenged with the backpack on a flight to Dominica, including the smaller turboprop leg from SJU. But only traveled with it the once, and that was just before they started charging for checked bags. Will find out in July if I can make it thru again - at least this time the trip is on a 757 so they may be a bit less 'vigilant' solely based on carryon space (vs. based on revenue maximization....)

  9. I've been really happy with my LowePro Roller 3. Quite inconspicuous and holds my Subal D200 housing, Dome, Macro port, 2x YS350, canister light, loads of batteries and chargers, etc. very securely. I also like that the way the partitions work most of the big items just drop in and it's really obvious where to replace them. So I've found that even if TSA opens it up and examines things everything tends to get put back where it belongs.

     

    Clinton

  10. I use a Tamrac Speedroller 2. Carry-on legal and it fits everything - housing, dome port, macro port, 2 YS 250's, focus light, Stix arms and floats, a couple different extension rings, batteries and chargers. Camera, lenses and laptop go in a LowePro back pack.

     

    Of course, while it looks inconspicuous, the roller weighs over 40 lbs! I was recently challenged on it for the Cathay Pacific flight leaving Jakarta (no one's ever weighed it before). I pulled all the sob story, stayed insistent, and finally the supervisor relented and I was able to carry it on. Of course, it was only when I was getting off the commuter flight from LAX home in San Diego that I watched it fall off the conveyor belt 5 ft. to the tarmac...

     

    Check out this thread as well: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=packing

     

    Phil

    Edited by philsokol
  11. I'm using the Akona camera bag pro (or something like that) It goes under all the carry on specifications and I can fit 4 lenses my housing, two ikelite ds160 an 8 inch dome and port.

  12. I've always wanted to use HazMat stickers, but airline might balk. ...

     

     

    Funny.

    I made some stickers stating: "Caution: Fragile Sewage Monitoring Equipment...Handle with Care"

    The wife made me strip them off the Pelican 1650 cases....

  13. A friend of mine used to label his coolers "Caution; Human Transplant Organs - Do Not Delay". A little red food coloring around the edges and Bob's Your Uncle!

     

    You might also check out the SeaHorse cases, the 940 roller case is huge and is still carry-on size. They have two layers of foam so you can layer your gear as necessary. Same basic specs as Pelican in terms of lifetime warranty, but lighter construction.

     

    Jack

  14. What housing for your D700 (need to know the size). I used to use, and recommend Storm or Pelican cases, but that required you to check in your system. I started using the Think Tank bags a year ago, and would never switch again (unless I needed to check the gear in). I can fit 80% of most SLR systems (aluminum housings) in one carry on back pack. This includes camera and a coupole of lenses. Depending on your accessories, the backpack (Airport Acceleration) and a small other Think Tank bag (Urban Disquise 50 or 60) to fit additionals. That means you have your carry on and a personal item...but both can be carried on!!

     

    Its great for traveling. The reason I dont use the roller bags is they weigh 10LBS more, and are much more likely to get weighed then a backpack.

  15. So - thoughts on what you can do when the carry on limit from LAX to Fiji is only 7 kg? My carryon empty weighs about that? You can have 2 pieces of checked luggage. Thanks.

  16. I've always wanted to use HazMat stickers, but airline might balk. Pack your camera/housing in non-fancy carry/wheel on, something not too heavy. I find LowePro too heavy and not quite deep enough. I transport Nikon D2x rig this way, and it's hardly light-weight.

     

    If challenged on weight [not happened yet], explain your situation, that you have $15,000 of gear or whatever it is. and ask if they will assume liability if they take it. I hear that works.

     

    Yeah that worked for me once.

  17. A size L Scierra Game Bag ( http://www.scierra.com/ecatalogue/index.html#38 ) works as carry on for me. I pack an Ike, 2 x G9's, a couple of Z-240's, close and w/a glass and photoviewer. The tray and arms go in the hold.

  18. It seems like a lot of people advise against a checked Storm or Pelican case but I'm curious how many have actually had thefts as a result of this approach. I've used a backpack to transport my rig as a carry on but these days I've been traveling with family and kids and it has been much easier to just check my housing in a storm case. In the past couple of years I've done this on multiple trips to Hawaii as well as Eleuthera and GrandCayman. I've had no problems checking my underwater gear. Am I really just tempting fate?

  19. I would think its the general risk factor. "Better safe then sorry" mentality. The numbers may be small especially if you are going to relatively safe destinations with little to no reports of this.

    A friend of mine used to take a storm case however stopped due to the general weight of it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.