I have to say, it's purdee darn good!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ks63z
Here's a discussion on how some of the sequences were shot:
Read-only discussion
I have to say, it's purdee darn good!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ks63z
Here's a discussion on how some of the sequences were shot:
I have to say, it's purdee darn good!
I have to agree with you Drew, its good to see the British TV licence fee being used to create something that is well worth watching. Some of the slow motion fotage inside the surf was jaw dropping material.
Stew
That's episode 1. Episode 2's grouper SPAG hunting sequence was awesome! And the storyline of cyclone distributing animal life is also cool. Wish they got rid of Benedict and got someone else to do the narration.
Its a good series, much better than recent attempts and with some excellent imagery. My only criticism is that the 'storyline' is a bit loose - it meanders without any absolute structure to it.
I dunno Paul. Endless Blue had a nice feel to it and I think a lot of the "looseness" you mention came from just not having the right shots to meld the sequences together. It's less of a doco and more of a narration and spotlight of various life forms in the island and their connection to the Pacific. The mix of humans and nature was a good mix. It's not exactly riveting story lines that keeps me watching wildlife docos anyhow. Many tend to over anthropomorphize. This one doesn't and I think Mark Brownlow did a good job of staying away from that.
Wish they got rid of Benedict and got someone else to do the narration.
Totally disagree with you Mr Drew... I thought Mr Cumberbatch did a magnificent job... Alot better than Tilda Swintons effort on Galapagos... Okay not quite 'Sir David' but then who is ??? I thought he had a very rich and engaging voice...
Dive safe
DeanB
....better than Tilda Swintons effort on Galapagos...
![]()
Ahh, but Ms Swinton does it for me....
.... a truly formidable actress.
Tim
![]()
Ahh, but Ms Swinton does it for me....
.... a truly formidable actress.
Tim
![]()
Agreed on the actress part Tim... But i think a better choice could have been made for the Narration of such a prestigious series ... Im going to get hammered here but i've only heard a one or two female voice overs in Natural history films that actually did it justice... A strong male vocal can carry a film even if the actual footage/editng isn't up to much...
Dive safe
Dean( now in hiding)B
It's not exactly riveting story lines that keeps me watching wildlife docos anyhow.
Fair enough, but I still reckon that you can't beat a good story well told.
Interesting about the narrators. We're spoiled by David Attenborough, a presenter/narrator genuinely interested in what he talks about when narrating or presenting. I'm working with a presenter in Wales who has the same enthusiasm. I've watched him do a piece to camera and a few seconds later have his binoculars to his eyes an enthusing about the birds he'd spotted whilst being filmed. I don't think that you can simulate genuine enthusiasm and IMHO it comes across. I hear too many presenters 'gush' rather than enthuse. Not sure that I'd be as adamant as Dean (and I don't want to go into hiding either) though
.
Well it's certainly a quantum leap better than Pacific Abyss and Oceans, but in my opinion South Pacific has not been 'that' great.
Recently Yellowstone was a truly outstanding series and a couple of the Nature's Great Events episodes were superb, but despite some of the jaw dropping photography I've found South Pacific to be rather dull and I've even found myself getting bored watching it and dare I say it wanting to switch channels.
Perhaps I expect too much, because I'd love to be glued to the screen as I have been in the past by some of these landmark series, but so far South Pacific just hasn't been floating my boat.
Cheers, Simon
Perhaps I expect too much,
Cheers, Simon
I have heard... ![]()
Bloody heck im defo not letting you review my films... Lol... and i can't wait to see you next one me old mate... Its going to be a film of epic 'BEN HUR' proportions...
Dive safe
DeanB
I've found South Pacific to be rather dull and I've even found myself getting bored watching it and dare I say it wanting to switch channels.
Cheers, Simon
Thats just because you are a Britains got talent fan! ![]()
Stew
Britains got Talent? OUCH that hurt Stew!! ![]()
Seriously though I'm not trying to say that South Pacific isn't good, bacuase it is, but in my opinion it isn't any more than that and it certainly isn't in the same league as many of the BBC NHU's productions. I don't know - perhaps I expect too much from them?
Recently I've found many of these type of series too dragged out. Like they have tried to make 6 episodes out of 3 episodes of content. Hey maybe it is just me, but up until now I'd have rather have been watching a Planet Earth repeat for the 20th time than watch the first 3 episodes of South Pacific. Just my opinion.
Deano Ben Hur? Jeez it would nice to get that budget eh?? ![]()
Cheers, Simon
FYI the DVD and BluRay (REGION B) are going to be available June 15th from Amazon UK:
DVD (make sure you have a region free and PAL DVD player and TV)
FYI the DVD and BluRay (REGION B) are going to be available June 15th from Amazon UK:
DVD (make sure you have a region free and PAL DVD player and TV)
If I read your entry correctly, those of us in the US cannot use the Blu-ray? Is that correct?
Well all I know is UK/EU is Region B. I have a few BD that are region free but many aren't. Depends on the distributor. I doubt Discovery wants to lose viewership IF they decide to bring the series to the US.
The episode "Fragile Paradise" is probably one of the least boring pro-conservation programs I've seen. No big lecture, a bit of alarmist extreme bad case scenario numbers, an awesome sequence of rising sea levels and there's the seine net sequence from PNG.
The storylines aren't the most grabbing but my gf even watched it with me and FINALLY understands why I don't eat seafood anymore. Sheesh!
Yesterday's episode comes hard on the heels of 'The End of the Line' and ably reinforces its messages. Along with the increasing media exposure which seems to be proliferating ( http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle6470489.ece ) I sense that we 'may' be starting to get the message across. Its up to us to us, individually and collectively to maintain the momentum of programs like these.
In my opinion 'Fragile Paradise' was the best in the series by a long way. Very good.
Cheers, Simon
In my opinion 'Fragile Paradise' was the best in the series by a long way. Very good.
Cheers, Simon
Im in total agreement with Simon... It was a very emotional programme and if i did eat tuna/ fish i'd seriously consider taking a break from it or even stopping completely... Banning purse netting should be now a major consideration... And no i dont care about livelihoods ... People have to adapt all the time in this ever changing world...
Dive safe
DeanB
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.