Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Probs with DVD studio Pro

Started by DeanB ·

  • 38Posts
  • 38Replies

Read-only discussion

Probs with DVD studio Pro

38 posts
  1. Hi to all you FCP peeps,

     

    I'm having a problem with burning DVD's in DVDSP ... I've made the film put it through Compressor(which it previews fine) and then into DVD studio pro (which also previews fine)... It builds fine and does actually burn to disc but thats where the prob starts all i get on any other DVD player including the 'DVD simulator' on DVDSP is a light grey screen... When i press play on my Sony DVD player it says 'This operation is prohibited on this disc' and similar warning on DVD player on the laptop ...

     

    The very first time i burnt a different film it went fine and plays fine... I've tried this film again, just in case, but get the same results Nothing ???

     

    Any suggestions (apart from get Edius...Wags)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  2. Hi to all you FCP peeps,

     

    I'm having a problem with burning DVD's in DVDSP ... I've made the film put it through Compressor(which it previews fine) and then into DVD studio pro (which also previews fine)... It builds fine and does actually burn to disc but thats where the prob starts all i get on any other DVD player including the 'DVD simulator' on DVDSP is a light grey screen... When i press play on my Sony DVD player it says 'This operation is prohibited on this disc' and similar warning on DVD player on the laptop ...

     

    The very first time i burnt a different film it went fine and plays fine... I've tried this film again, just in case, but get the same results Nothing ???

     

    Any suggestions (apart from get Edius...Wags)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    Could be a variety of things.

     

    If you could go through the entire process it may lead to where it is going awry.

     

    For instance, not setting a first play on the DVD, or a first play to a menu where the is nothing on it. (Note that if you are having issues with the menu, changing from hardware encoding to software encoding, or reversing it, can help with that) Could also be that you accidently made a HD DVD and not a SD DVD, though it does not sound like it because the DVD Player would usually just not recognize the DVD. When you say it previews fine, you mean in Simulator? When you build the project to the hard drive and open it in Apple DVD Player, are you seeing the same issue? What was the original source material that were you encoding and what settings in Compressor? The warning BTW sounds like user ops were disabled.

     

    Also some Sony's do not play well with DVD SP. Usually it is a good idea to start with a few seconds of black on a track before jumping to a menu or a track (can use an FBI warning for instance), which can help with playback issues.

  3. I've never seen what your describing. Have you assigned your first play action?

     

    Todd

  4. alright Deano?

     

    this could be what Todd and Drew say - "first play assignment"... but then your simulator should tell you that when you click it(!?!?)

     

    I've attached a screen grab of a DVDSP file - in the graphical tab on the left side are my 4 tracks and 1 menu...

     

    the top left icon has a little small disc and arrow icon in it's top left corner - this denotes that it's set up to be the first play track. By right clicking on any of the tracks (or menus) you can set it up to be the designated part of the disc to autorun from... (you can also setup the firstplay in the inspector and elsewhere.... you may already be happy with using a different method...?)

     

    DVDSP-for-Dean-B.jpg

     

    IMPORTANTLY THOUGH:

     

    to check whether this is a software / programming / hardware thing - as Drew says, you can check the BUILT files on your computer before even attempting to burn.... You will need to find the two AUDIO and VIDEO_TS folders being built and saved to your drive by DVDSP.... by default they will have been thrown into your Docs

     

    You can then open DVD Player and File->Open DVD Media.... browse to your VIDEO_TS folder and select it... nothing will happen (usually) so then just click the play button on the DVD controller....

     

    If your software is working okay and if your DVDSP project has been programmed correctly then the "DVD" will play just fine.... At which point we'll recommend a few other options - Roxio Toast for eg? / Reinstalling DVDSP? / checking whether your drive is burning anything else without probs?

     

    I've never had probs with DVDSP - always been one of those happy seamless relationships - I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it shortly... frustrating but you're nearly there!! :)

     

    Good luck and remember! "It's never a problem - only a challenge :) :)

  5. Might not be this Dean but one thing that folks over look when making DVD's is the Media Brand.

    Just because its a blank DVD-r and you burn to it does not mean it will work.

    Burn it to another brand and away it goes.

     

    Taiyo Yuden's are the way to go, never fail and always work.

  6. Taiyo Yuden's are the way to go, never fail and always work.

     

    Agreed.. you mentioned them ages ago and I switched, never had a DVD jump skip or be sent back. They are bloody good

     

    Dean: When you put the film through compressor did you use one of the standard presets or did you make your own?

  7. Awwww Thanks all... I will spend tomorrow going thru all of your suggestions as its fri night and its 'beer oclock'

     

    Cheers again

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    P.s I've tried 2 different brands of DVD... including DVD-R and DVD+RW but still the same... I will report back

  8. I will spend tomorrow going thru all of your suggestions as its fri night and its 'beer oclock'

     

    IMO alot more important than any DVD :) But remember it is always beer oclock somewhere so you do not need to be tied to a clock.

     

    P.s I've tried 2 different brands of DVD... including DVD-R and DVD+RW but still the same... I will report back

     

    Sounds like it probably is not the brand, but really go with TY-R if you can. List Of Brands and Grades Here

     

    As an aside some players (more the older ones) had trouble with higher speeds/burns and/or +RW and/or +R

  9. Yes it's best to not burn any faster than 4 or 6 speed, 4 to be safe.

    Walk away Dean, get pissed, wake up, cook some bacon and eggs with a flat white, then try as it will probably all work then. :)

  10. Walk away Dean, get pissed, wake up, cook some bacon and eggs with a flat white, then try as it will probably all work then. :)

     

     

    Good God, stop the presses. I am agreei with the PC Edius dude! :)

  11. Yes it's best to not burn any faster than 4 or 6 speed, 4 to be safe.

    Walk away Dean, get pissed, wake up, cook some bacon and eggs with a flat white, then try as it will probably all work then. :)

     

    Ohhhh MY head !!!... I can see this getting messy ... Bad head trying to sort out techno probs... he we go :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  12. Agreed.. you mentioned them ages ago and I switched, never had a DVD jump skip or be sent back. They are bloody good

     

    Dean: When you put the film through compressor did you use one of the standard presets or did you make your own?

     

    Hey Johnny... All standard pre-sets...

     

    Okay its now playing in simulator :) and i does say 'First play' not set.... So what might be another dumb question..."How do you set it as first play???"

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  13. Okay thats weird... Its now playing and I haven't changed a thing, Wags you were right (Maybe) ...??????????

     

    I will try another film...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  14. Okay its now playing in simulator blink.gif and i does say 'First play' not set.... So what might be another dumb question..."How do you set it as first play???"

     

    If you did not have a first play set, then that was the issue I would bet. As mentioned, there are a few ways to do that. I usually do this - Click the F3 key and the screen will rearrange to look like the image below. Click the spot shown in Arrow 1 for option Tab, you will see the dvd icon as shown in arrow 2 then set first play as in arrow three.

     

    dvdsp.jpg

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  15. Hey Dean,

     

    Were you actually using the simulator? The button up in the menu bar. Or are you using the the play buttons at the bottom of the screen? Those just play the open track.

    The simulator should work very close to a burned DVD but all players are a bit different. By default DVDSP assigns the first menu for the first play. With nothing in it it would be gray.

     

    Todd

  16. The simulator in DVD Studio Pro is not a perfect reassurance that all is as it should be. Certainly, the quality of the blank DVD-Rs is a factor but once you have tested in the simulator it is always safest to create a disc image and run that in your Macs DVD player. If it works there, it is ready to burn. Remember that even though you can burn at 32x, it doesn't mean that you should. I usually will burn a DVD at 2 or 4x even though I am capable of much faster speed. Follow the steps in this article and you will be more confident of a proper burn.

    http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/image...disk_stone.html

     

    Steve

    Edited by steve
  17. If you did not have a first play set, then that was the issue I would bet. As mentioned, there are a few ways to do that. I usually do this - Click the F3 key and the screen will rearrange to look like the image below. Click the spot shown in Arrow 1 for option Tab, you will see the dvd icon as shown in arrow 2 then set first play as in arrow three.

     

    dvdsp.jpg

     

    Watch out Drew - I didn't want to show him that layout because I thought it was too advanced! :)

  18. Dean,

    Control and Click on whatever you want to set your First Play to. The drop down menu will appear and select First Play. Should be sorted if that's the problem. Then set all other links etc.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  19. Thanks everyone you have been most helpful... Im just putting my film into compressor then i will try it again later... :)

     

    Thanks again

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  20. Let us know how it turns out.

    Steve

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.