Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite 8" Dome/Super Wide Port Question

Started by Elainew ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite 8" Dome/Super Wide Port Question

25 posts
  1. Interesting thread... especially as i've also just (literally delivered to my office an hour ago!) received my superwide port and surprised to see that it was a bayonet type fitting... been using the Canon 10-22mm up until now but not too happy with edge sharpness.. so have recently bought the Tokina 10-17 and associated superwide port etc..

     

    On the jumping in issue.. i've never needed to as yet, either handed it down OR lowered it in with a long lanyard and jumped after it..

     

    Look forward to hearing more regarding how you get on with this set up Elaine..

     

    Best regards,

     

    Mike

  2. Hi Mike. I am due to be boat diving at St Abbs at the weekend so will take the new lens out. So far, has just been shore diving! I always have the housing handed down to me so that's the plan. Am hoping the vis is reasonable so I can try some scenic shots.

  3. The bayonet system on the superwide port isn't the greatest solution. Its more of a kludge. I use it but I'm really careful to center it on the housing such that a turn either direction won't push it off.

     

    I make sure the hood is centered when the port is on in thast position. Then I make sure the hood is on good and tight so it won't shift. Then I use the hood position to monitor the port position.

     

    The hood is useful for that and to protect the dome from scratches (on tables, boats and coral). I don't think its really that important as a light shade.

  4. I have a product that may address these issues. I have been working on this for months and I am in the process of setting up a web site. Feel free to take a look and let me know if your interested.

     

    http://www.uwcamerastuff.com/info.htm

    post-2195-1254971994.jpg

    post-2195-1254972023.jpg

    post-2195-1254972053.jpg

    post-2195-1254972075.jpg

  5. I refrained from taking the housing on one dive, then did a dive with the macro port, but in the end jumped in with 8 inch dome port on a recent trip to Scapa Flow. The deck help lowered the diving platform a bit, and I put the whole housing on the top of my head. When jumping, I also closed the fins to minimise impact.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.