Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon announces EOS 7D (Official Thread)

Started by BradDB ·

  • 77Posts
  • 77Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon announces EOS 7D (Official Thread)

77 posts
  1. Thanks Brad. Somebody better tell Jean to get the folks working overtime.

     

    It's also up on the Canon website and Amazon has it already listed for preorder ($1699)

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  2. Looks a fantastic camera. How close is it to fitting in existing housings?

     

    Can't help thinking that they make a big much about "designed with the photographer in mind", which is in almost every paragraph of the press release. Who did they have in mind when designing all their previous cameras?

     

    Alex

  3. Alex

    That just means they changed the copywriter! :wacko:

     

    Sigh...I like! I'll preorder one. :(

    Edited by Drew
  4. Looks a fantastic camera. How close is it to fitting in existing housings?

     

     

     

    Alex

     

    The On/Off switch moved when compared to 40/50D and 5D and a couple of new buttons, many of the buttons are to the left of the LCD like the 5D and 30D, while the 40D/50D had them on the bottom.

  5. In other words, another new housing :wacko: There goes the 1D series compatibility.

    I like the dedicated video button and the 720p60/50 and the 1080p24/25/30. Still does force me to go get EF-S lenses which I will resist since this is the last APS-C camera I'll get. I'll keep the 5D2 as the walkaround.

    The weather sealing on this seems better.

     

    Oh and guys PLEASE DO NOT mod DPREVIEW pics and post them here without their permission. It's against their copyright.

  6. In other words, another new housing :( There goes the 1D series compatibility.

     

     

    Yeah looks that way, even beyond some of the DIY mods that come up around here.

     

    I like the dedicated video button and the 720p60/50 and the 1080p24/25/30. Still does force me to go get EF-S lenses which I will resist since this is the last APS-C camera I'll get. I'll keep the 5D2 as the walkaround.

    The weather sealing on this seems better.

     

    Does not look like they added weather sealing to the new EF-S lenses, though I may have missed that. So I guess L lens for that. I have a 17-55mm f/2.8 EF-S lens and used that alot, but the new EF-S lenses look like they could be good. Just wish they came out with a 15-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM :wacko:

  7. I won't buy any EF-S lenses because there's no weather sealing. That new 100 IS looks sweet :wacko: Damn I suddenly see MANY 100mm macros on the 2nd hand market LOL

  8. Does anyone foresee this camera taking the place of the 5D Mkii as the preferred “video/still” camera for canon shooters? The 7D gives us more options when it comes to frame rates, the shorter wide angle lenses “10mm” will yield greater depth of field (not sure how much of an issue that really is with the 5D video function) as well as a higher bit rate than the 5D.I will also be able to use my favorite Tok 10-17mm with this body.

     

    The reason I ask is that I have a 50D in a housing and was planning to get a housing for my 5D so I could start shooting a little video underwater as well. Now I am not sure if I should just wait for 6 months for the first housings to start coming out and get one for a 7D.

     

    Thanks

  9. Somewhere in the details it says the new metering system uses a dual-layer sensor, one layer sensitive to red/green, the other to blue/green. Apparently, the standard sensors are biased to red. I wonder if this has impact on UW shooting.

     

    Bart

  10. Well I don't know about preferred but I'm getting one for the refined video control and for telephoto shooting. The weathersealing looks better than the 5D2 and the crop gives a bit more "reach". I'm sure there'll be even better features in the 1D series. I'd still keep the 5D2 as I like 21mp and full frame is the future.

    What's real interesting is the TTL flash control. The days of Sync cords may be over once this is tapped. I'd consider housing 2 580EX IIs and get high speed sync.

    I'm not sure how the housing peeps are going to make the Liveview and start/stop switch work though.

  11. 8 FPS, a pretty decent viewfinder (compared to the 1D) and great video - looks like a great all-round camera. AND - it will work well w/ the Tokina 10-17!

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. 8 FPS, a pretty decent viewfinder (compared to the 1D) and great video - looks like a great all-round camera. AND - it will work well w/ the Tokina 10-17!

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    I foresee a 7D UW system in my future when I decide to go to an SLR system.

  13. 8 FPS, a pretty decent viewfinder (compared to the 1D) and great video - looks like a great all-round camera. AND - it will work well w/ the Tokina 10-17!

    Ok so I may buy one lousy crop lens... but that's it! :wacko:

    Actually has anyone seen if it can handle 18mp? I mean I've seen purple fringing on it on a D2x.

  14. Ok so I may buy one lousy crop lens... but that's it! :(

     

    Careful, that's how the downard sprial starts.

     

    I swore I would be happy with one lens. Now 5-6 lenses later, now I think I am set and will only get L Series from now on, unless I get a 7D Kit of course. :wacko:

  15. I'm a very careful buyer. Stuff I buy I keep for a long time...so long I can't find them!

    I'd be interested to see this higher bitrate video. The 40mbps of the 5D2 is hampered by the sampling. Wonder if they have a new way of doing things. In which case, it'll be my main camera :wacko:

    Edited by Drew
  16. I figured some 5D2 peeps would be unhappy with the release of 1080p24/25/29.97 ON TOP of 720p50/60. Here's Phil Bloom's thoughts on the subject:

    *** There're quite a few expletives in the video subtitles. So if you are offended by that, don't play it.

     

    Edited by Drew
  17. I figured some 5D2 peeps would be unhappy with the release of 1080p24/25/29.97 ON TOP of 720p50/60. Here's Phil Bloom's thoughts on the subject:

     

     

    :wacko:

     

    So cool ... and true ... Glad I wasn't sucked into the 5D MKII straight away ... Altho I may wait a little while further even :(

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  18. That's awesome! Laughed so much!

    Edited by Drew
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.